Anybody clued up on loopframe bikes?

MarkShelley

Very similar to Paolo Maldini
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have chance to purchase a V7 GT with a 750S motor. This is the owners initial brief description. Any thought on the non standard bits and guesses at what it may be worth? It is kind of cool I reckon!

It's no concourse queen but good and solid. It's registered as a 74 on an M plate and as a historic. It is not standard as it has a 750 sport motor. Why and when I don't know, it came from Holland, seems they have a reputation for doing that sort of thing. It appears the crank nose has been modified to match the dynamo type as it should be. As the crankcase is not machined for a dynamo the dynamo has been mounted to the frame but it's more solid than standard as they have a habit of coming loose. I have dual seat on it now but the single is there. I also have a stainless pannier rack fitted currently. These loop frame bikes are built like tanks. It's just had new BT45,s fitted, oils changed and new battery. It's a sweet thing to ride and despite it's bulk surprisingly rapid. The tank is solid but has a good size dent I have been meaning to pull out but haven't got round to.

terminology is everything
engine ? 750s ? i doubt it, very few of them made ...... engine from a 750 Special much more likely.

I've owned one, and built several.

Looks a nice bike from what I can see. Looks largely original and complete (silencers are aftermarket). It has the desirable 4 leading shoe front brake which is fairly rare. They go well, but don't handle and the drum brakes are terrible by modern standards whichever type is fitted.

Interesting mod to fit the dynamo. Two tapped holes in the crankcase and you can mount the dynamo on a later engine, though they do indeed come loose. There is some issue with mounting them on the frame, but I've never seen one and can't remember what it is. I'll have a look in Guzziology.

Loops fetch strong money these days, but bear in mind that later Tontis are much better dynamically and parts are more plentiful. Loops arguably have more character and are generally reliable despite not having an oil filter.

Thanks for that, and the PM’s. I have asked for more pics including the dynamo area. It would be most helpful if you could let me know if Guzziology has any info on the mod because if it is thought to not be good practice that would rule the bike out for me I am afraid.

Back
Top Bottom