Ews

By the way, @Glenn.1, is it all fixed and working now?

it ought to be illegal to sell these "theft kits!

It's hardly a theft kit.

It's not a rock up and fit at the roadside and drive off option,

More like half to a full day with lost of effort

TBH most bikes are stolen for parts, not to be resold on

You didn't really ask for my opinion, but this is UKGSer, so I'll just go in with both size-12s, as is the norm here :) ...

On the balance of probabilities and me being somewhat risk-averse in this respect (bike cutting out when I need the engine, not liking the idea of sitting on the kerb 100s of miles from home and the fact that the broken wire and intermittent electrical signal *seems to* have contributed to the ECU failure in Glenn.1's case), I'd try to fix it, or at least understand it better. I'd be starting with making sure no other RFID keys are near my bike key , then shoogling the wires (inspecting the loom at known weak point), and then progressing to swapping RingAntenna with a known-good (or new) one. It is a few hours of work and 30-odd quid in total. If you were in Scotland, I'd lend you my spare RA (if the part # matches) to try. Another inmate may help you there if you find one nearer to you.

Good luck mate.

Thanks for the reply, as you said it seems to make no sense whatsoever. Well had a 100miler today with plenty of stops and starts, connected to the 911 on my returns and the EWS was down as historic code and I was able to clear it. I wonder if a tired battery could have given the error? Bike is 2009 with only 8.5k on it! 1k in last 9 years, no invoice for new battery in the wad of receipts!
It has been on a charge once or twice whilst awaiting the return of the rear shock from Denzo(great job btw) and seems to have a resting voltage of 12.5v so perhaps not in the best condition.
I’ll keep an eye out for any recurrence of the ‘fault’

Yes all sorted now... I bought the ECU on eBay with one key ... got Graham’s bikes in Bradford to swap the ECU.. reprogram the mileage ( so it tallies with the clocks)... they even swapped the rubber bit of the key with my original key.. so I can use the original key for ignition and panniers etc... about £350 all in.. could have been worse..( could have been A LOT worse!!)... only downer.. just left with one key...
A MASSIVE THANK YOU. to all that have helped me over the last few weeks.. much appreciated... there are some very knowledgeable people on here who are willing to share said knowledge... and I for one .. am very grateful...
494f28293990976d8e8951c141947b71.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a great result! Happy that it is all fixed. I think that is very reasonable fix @350 all in. Glad we could be of assistance mate. Ride safe.

Thanks for the reply, as you said it seems to make no sense whatsoever. Well had a 100miler today with plenty of stops and starts, connected to the 911 on my returns and the EWS was down as historic code and I was able to clear it. I wonder if a tired battery could have given the error? Bike is 2009 with only 8.5k on it! 1k in last 9 years, no invoice for new battery in the wad of receipts!
It has been on a charge once or twice whilst awaiting the return of the rear shock from Denzo(great job btw) and seems to have a resting voltage of 12.5v so perhaps not in the best condition.
I’ll keep an eye out for any recurrence of the ‘fault’

No worries. Good to hear all is well now. Yes, a weak battery can do that. And a heck of a lot of really weird behaviour on modern bikes full of electronics and sensors. Also, a few other things can throw the EWS system, like interference from other keys, etc; but I'd probably look at replacing the battery first anyway.

Back
Top Bottom