Do Turntables work?

Nick the ship

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have to manoeuvre my GS into a narrow space when I park up at home . I’m looking at buying a turntable to turn it by 90 degrees. Does anyone have experience of this and do they work for quite a heavy bike ?
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a turntable years ago, worked fine, the effort to turn depends on how heavy the grounded end of the bike is, when on the c/s. Remember after turning 90 degrees, the bike will be at least half a bike length away from the wall, unless you roll it off.

Considered a centre stand trolley? I think that's what I would go for. Not a recommendation, never had one https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/biketek-deluxe-centre-stand-mover-bikpdsctr11/

Thanks Ajay. I don’t think a trolley will work as there are paving stones with gaps. But good to hear about turntables..

Pop off your panniers

Park bike with centre on a paving stone or a slate in a levelish area

with your right hip against the saddle from left side of the bike Pull the bars to the right and then pull towards you

With Practice !! You can judge this to a tee and spin your bike in its own length with no need of additional aids

You don;t have to be a powerhouse of strength, its about balance

Leave bike in gear, that way if you get it wrong and the stand folds backwards, it will drop on the wheels and stop moving and you will be braced for the weight anyway

I haven;t tried it with a Watercooled but it's worked on everything since about 1983 Except K Brick bikes

I have one and it’s made all the difference. The GSA turns very easily and I only have a few inches to spare at the front and back, used it for RTs as well.
I got the aluminium chequer plate version from The Ebays.

I bought an Easy-Turn Turntable direct from the manufacturers years ago, it's been absolutely 100% reliable and really easy to rotate with the GSA on it, just press down on the seat to lift front wheel off the ground and walk it round. Also used with the following bikes - Crosstourer, Super Ten and GTR1400.

Just noticed on Amazon they say it is out of stock and when I tried the Easy-Turn Web Site nothing came up so could be a Covid casualty. Maybe you could pick one up secondhand, but for me it's been one of the best things I've ever bought for the garage.

There were a couple on eBay - but they only have the 40cm version, not the 50cm. What’s the width of the centre stand - do you know?

For may years I have used a cheap (no cost to me) option that works really well. An old metal sign (any piece of sheet metal will do the trick), once on the centre stand the machine can be turned around, pushed up close against a wall to afford more garage space and pulled away from the wall with ease. Of course it isn't emblazoned with a manufacturers name or marketed as a bespoke motorcycle item, but it does the job and saves a considerable amount money.

I can say without any dought that this is a great bit of kit if you are looking to turn your bike in your garage

I have one and it’s made all the difference. The GSA turns very easily and I only have a few inches to spare at the front and back, used it for RTs as well.
I got the aluminium chequer plate version from The Ebays.

Same here. Only thing to be wary of is that the thickness of the turntable increases the effort needed to get the bike onto its stand. Therefore, I always take the luggage off...

Same here. Only thing to be wary of is the thickness of the turntable increases the effort needed to get the bike onto its stand. Therefore, I always take the luggage off...

Not if you lay lengths of non slippy wood (at least the same thickness as turntable) down in front and behind turntable:D. Been doing this for years.;) Works a treat:okay

I did it too, and today i tried it out for the first time and it worked a treat. Cost me around £8 to make. I took an old rubber mat from a car and glued it down onto the steel plate and that saves any slipping by the feet of the stand.
f120ad61ee444b3f840aaf37329d9fdd.jpg

I used to have one of these, but sold it when we got a house with a double garage:

http://www.matturntable.com/motorcycle_turntable_products.html

Not sure if it’s still available, but it was a great bit of kit. I’d leave the bike parked on it, sometimes for days, and it worked perfectly.

Edit - it looks like they’re still available here https://www.movetechukshop.co.uk/product/motorcycle-mat-turntable-350mm-or-450mm-diameter/

:thumb These work well, I have had one for ages. Sometimes needs a lube with silicon spray between the plates.

Same here. Only thing to be wary of is that the thickness of the turntable increases the effort needed to get the bike onto its stand. Therefore, I always take the luggage off...

for same reasons I have one of these and follow the process as above. Costs a bit though....

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 232

Back
Top Bottom