Kryptonite - EVOLUTION SERIES 4 1090 INTEGRATED CHAIN

Wapping

Reaction score
Via a link in an unrelated thread on UKGSer, I read about what I take to be a new chain from Kryptonite. The reviews were all good, so I thought I’d buy one. Has it stopped my bike being nicked? Yes but as it only arrived this morning, I haven’t used it yet. The pound of butter in the fridge, seeming to be working.

That aside, do I think its hype is justifiable? Yes, I think I do. Why?

1. If weight were any measure, then it’s heavy enough to inspire some confidence.

2. The integral shackle (there is no separate padlock) is robust and quite clever in the way it locks. Being integral, there is no chance of you packing the chain but forgetting the padlock. Yes, I have done it.

3. The key mechanism itself is of some modern design, rendering picking difficult. Do I think many casual or even vaguely determined thieves hang about picking locks? No.

4. You get three keys. One for you. One to keep at home and one to lose.

5. It achieves Sold Secure’s level ‘Gold’, which would meet most insurers’ requirements.

The chain comes in three different length options. The shortest, would be good for expensive pushbikes or maybe in place of a disc lock on a motorbike. That alone would not stop a determined thief lifting a motorbike away. OK I guess for the classic “I will only be a minute” stops and certainly better than nothing. The longer lengths would be good to chain a motorbike to something, even if it’s just your mate’s awesome.

Marry it to a good quality ground anchor and you’d be reasonably safe, ultimately protected by the butter.

It gets my vote.

Got a link, mate? https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/how-to-choose-lock-landing/motorcycle-security.html

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2m2shqv_CUo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back
Top Bottom