USB to Multiple USB charger

I use an SAE lead direct from battery that pops out on right hand side just below the tank & front of seat. I then have a double ended SAE cable from the live feed up to a Powerlet SAE socket fitted to the wall of my tank bag. On the inside of the tank bag is a SAE to a single USB socket, but I know they're also available with multi USB ports.

Here's some pics.

2403a6635c2f6e05254b63cb7cdd6450.jpg

2a62b93396268183446d0c25b763bcb0.jpg

0549c814f5b408af9fbc4e979d3c83d0.jpg

743d67dbee3f3056fc2e61b43269ca6d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on. Where did you get the gland for the tank bag, it looks very professional.

This is the solution I was thinking of but, having read some FAQ’s someone was planning a similar thing. The response from the vendor was “do not modify the product”. This put me off a bit and so I asked the question as to whether anyone knows of a plug and play solution that is already on the market. If there isn’t, I’ll go ahead and carry out the mod and add an inline fuse for safety. Touracheat et al are missing trick here me thinks.

If you look it is power of a standard 12v input plug into the device, simply replace it with one that has the hella/din on the other end you can get them all over the internet, or try motorway services they sell them for trucks

Morning all, more of an update on the conundrum. Having done further research I have found that all my charging needs can be met by the single 5 amp Hella DIN output socket on the bike. Below is the drone charger unit input requirements. With an iPhone requiring 1 amp and the iPad requiring similar (although a 2.1 amp charger will reduce charge time), 5 amps will be sufficient with spare capacity to charge a small power storage device for charging the Sena at the end of the days riding.
5 amps won’t be enough for a pump but, in the past, when touring Morocco and Australia I managed to change tyres with nothing more than a mountain bike hand pump which, is still working fine after more than 20 years service. The hand pump and CO2 canisters will also save on weight.
Thanks again.

Charger
Charging Input
100-240 V, 50/60 Hz, 1.3 A
Charging Output
Charging Port: 13.2 V⎓2.82 A
USB Port: 5 V⎓2 A
Voltage
13.2 V
Rated Power
38 W

Morning all, more of an update on the conundrum. Having done further research I have found that all my charging needs can be met by the single 5 amp Hella DIN output socket on the bike. Below is the drone charger unit input requirements. With an iPhone requiring 1 amp and the iPad requiring similar (although a 2.1 amp charger will reduce charge time), 5 amps will be sufficient with spare capacity to charge a small power storage device for charging the Sena at the end of the days riding.
5 amps won’t be enough for a pump but, in the past, when touring Morocco and Australia I managed to change tyres with nothing more than a mountain bike hand pump which, is still working fine after more than 20 years service. The hand pump and CO2 canisters will also save on weight.
Thanks again.

Charger
Charging Input
100-240 V, 50/60 Hz, 1.3 A
Charging Output
Charging Port: 13.2 V⎓2.82 A
USB Port: 5 V⎓2 A
Voltage
13.2 V
Rated Power
38 W

Apologies, before an electrical genius steps in, that was for the wall charger. The car charger is 2.7 amp at 14 volt. I’ll still be ok as the charging time at that current is 1hr 40min.

Spot on. Where did you get the gland for the tank bag, it looks very professional.

It does, doesn’t it :D

Here is how to do it.

Purchase the connector.

Work out on your tank bag where you want to put it, using the metal washer of the connector as a template and having in mind that you will have a power cable coming in from the outside and one on the inside. In short, don’t put it in the wrong place.

When you are sure of the best position, clamp the metal washer to the outside of the bag, clamping a suitable sized small block of wood to the inside. In essence you have clamped the bag as the meat in a sandwich between the metal washer and the wood, holding everything in place. Take care that any lining in the bag is neatly clamped too as, as once the holes are cut, there is no going back.

Using the metal washer template as a guide, use a small gas powered soldering iron with a pointed tip to burn through the fabric of the tank bag, continuing to burn until the tip of the soldering iron reaches the wood support. It is not a long process. The advantage of using a hot tipped soldering iron is that it cauterises the nylon of the bag, as opposed to ripping it as a drill might do.

You will now have holes in the bag. The newer versions of the connector have done away with the four mounting bolts, using a single nut instead. This makes life easier, as it’s a bit of a fiddle lining up the bolts to go through any lining material the tank bag might have. Use a piece of wire, just to line any inner fabric up and then slot the bolt through. Be patient, it’s not as hard as it might sound.

Offer up the connector to the bag and secure in place.

I have adapted several bags this way. Take your time and only burn when you are sure you have everything clamped in place.

The gas powered soldering iron, you’ll find them online easily enough on line. Something like this... You do not have to watch it all....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2UYu47Y8YbY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The little plastic clamp are easiest if they ratchet closed, making it easier to clamp one handed than a conventional small metal G-clamp. Something like this:

https://www.toolstation.com/irwin-q...HfOkNuAKUWe9T_D4_PNeSbeTs0k6ezeRoCl80QAvD_BwE

You do not need to told everything in a death grip, just deep and hard enough to hold it in place so that it doesn’t move when you are burning your way through your tank bag.

Does anyone know what the DIN socket voltage output is when the bike is running?

Givi do a bag adaptor and direct to battery connection with the ability to disconnect quick n easy
bdf16700f2d4ae244f85de2d621c69d9.jpg

ecabbeb7f89b6f88742f28a0a74e91b9.jpg

Kappa /Givi
Bit pricey but ...
2fc79c341aa43d0e36646f799a12d589.jpg

0b62abc4b5079b444bf5d013c921d7e7.jpg

Kappa /Givi
Bit pricey but ...
2fc79c341aa43d0e36646f799a12d589.jpg

0b62abc4b5079b444bf5d013c921d7e7.jpg

Thanks for that. I’ve moved this thread to 1200gs lc forum as it started to get technical regarding electrical feeds and didn’t want a ticking off from a moderator. If you want to follow the progress, have a look at Navigator Wiring Loom.

Back
Top Bottom