Recommends plz commuter/town bike

Ali-bear

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
Employer is encouraging us to get bikes through the govt cycle-scheme. Budget is, I am surprised to discover, unlimited but I'd not want a retail price of more than about a thousand, and preferably less because the tightwad gene is most definitely expressed here. Realistically I'm not going to commute on it unless the weather is fair. I don't want anything that's going to attract thieves or vandals if I leave it locked up in town during daylight hours. Comfort is more important than performance.
Recommends?
I'm starting off looking at Giant 'cos there's a big store near work.
Thanks,
:beerjug:

Hi all,
Employer is encouraging us to get bikes through the govt cycle-scheme. Budget is, I am surprised to discover, unlimited but I'd not want a retail price of more than about a thousand, and preferably less because the tightwad gene is most definitely expressed here. Realistically I'm not going to commute on it unless the weather is fair. I don't want anything that's going to attract thieves or vandals if I leave it locked up in town during daylight hours. Comfort is more important than performance.
Recommends?
I'm starting off looking at Giant 'cos there's a big store near work.
Thanks,
:beerjug:

Leccy or push?

I've got an Evans Pinnacle lithium 3... no suspension at all except for the tyres which are road size 700c rims able to take upto 40mm tyres so anything from knobblies to slicks. It has mtb style triple rings for a nice wide spread of gearing. It's really light to carry around as it's not weighed down with suspension shocks or forks, or motors. It can still take a pannier rack and full mudguards if you want. All yours for £490. Does the job that I require of it.

Plus if you really want an electric motor, they do Lithium Ion ebike version for £1700 which I'm slightly tempted by.

If you don't want to leave your bike outside, then Tern folding bikes are quite nice too. I've got a next up from the bottom of the range at the time, but I guess the closest now is the verge N8 at £850. It might not be as tiny as a brompton, but it's on 20" wheels which don't feel too tiny when riding along.

Probably going to be an aluminium frame, carbon fork would be good. If your regular journey is pretty flat then a hub gear would be good. Bars will be flat, 700C wheels, tyres 28-34mm. Disc brakes are definitely better than rim brakes, and hydraulic are better than mechanical as the latter can be tricky to set up. Again, if your route is mostly flat then weight is not so important. Get mudguards. Mounts for a rack would be useful. And budget for decent lights and clothing.

Check out last years models for better prices.

I zone out at work when people start mentioning the 'bike to work' schemes and discussing budgets of £7,8,900 or more. It's a bicycle.... having always had low-end cheap mountain bikes as a kid, I bought myself my first "decent" bike last year; it's a Raleigh Pioneer Metro GLX, roughly 10-15 years old, paid £100 second hand on ebay. Was in very good condition, came with pannier rack and water bottle holder; basic fork suspension and 24 gears in a 3x8 arrangement. Significantly more comfortable, easier to ride and easier to travel quickly on than any cheap mountain bike I've ever owned (albeit can't keep up with a proper road bike) and I'm ~ £600 better off than the average net position of these buying schemes. Plus, it's unlikely anyone will want to steal it. Why anyone would consider spending several hundred pounds (or even thousands) on a bicycle, save for professional athletes or serious amateur competitors, is beyond me.

Thanks for responses :thumb2
I'm not looking to get an electric assist, but I would if I was serious about regular commuting on it. Its about 16 miles each way, nothing alpine but plenty of small up and downers. The much higher cost of those bikes is only justifiable for me through the c-scheme. And probably the electric assist would make regular use on my commute possible. But this isn't for me.
Understood about hydraulic disc brakes, wheel and tyre size, mudguard, rack and lights.

Back
Top Bottom