Another lock-down project - powder coating snowflake wheels

TheCadman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A question for the assembled wisdom.

I'm going to re-powder coat the cast wheels on my R80/7. As I'd rather not remove the taper bearing outer races (and then have to reset the preload) I'm planning to leave them in and mask off in the usual way. However, if I do that then I don't think I can remove the centre spacer with its two plastic rings. Any idea if they would survive the powder coating process?

Thanks

Graham

With the obligatory photo!

Off road RS.jpg

My powder-coaster won’t touch wheels with any bearing components in. The blasting will get you grit/beads where you can’t get them out. It is folly IMHO. Do you want to set the pre-load now with good bearings or later, with new bearings replacing your worn out bearings?

Would the baking temp of around 180 degrees melt the grease and maybe the seals .

you wont find a decent powder coating company that will do it with the bearings in place, and any company that would give it a go are not worth the bother of getting it done as you will have to re do it later!!!
Take the bearings out, powder coat and put new bearings in, its really not rocket science

If you heat the hub area with a hot air gun to @ 100 Degs,
the bearings will pretty much fall out.
You won’t need to reshim if the claearances(preload) was correct to start with
Edit,
I pretty much agree with the above:thumby:

I was only planning to leave the outer races in there, not the whole bearing with grease and seals!

But if Mike says take them out and they’ll go back in with the right preload, that’s good enough for me

Back
Top Bottom