Tablet for grandpa

jimbo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
No, not me.
Mrs Jimbo's Dad wants to try some zoom calls with us and his grandchildren.
Whilst he does have a PC, it's fairly aged and doesn't have cam or speakers.
I think the easiest thing is to buy him a tablet which I can setup for him before delivery - obviously socially distancing etc.

I'll stick email, bbc news and a few basic bits on there, but he is over 80s so I'm not expecting him to be a "Power User".
I know I lot of non-techy people love Apple stuff (I hate it), but I can't see it's worth the cost for an iPad?

Any recommendations for a sensibly price tablet - Android Fusion5 from amazon for £85 maybe?

Any wisdom? :thumb

I am about to upgrade my iPad to the air it's a 2 ns gen 64 gb if that would be of interest to you or I have an iPad mini 2 32 gb

Hating Apple products is a bit unfortunate because the easiest way is to buy an iPad which going by my experience are pretty much pensioner proof. My mother wouldn’t be without hers, I’ve put shortcuts to her usual needs such as internet banking, Morrisons for her shopping, FaceTime so she can speak to friends/family and her email is on the home screen.

It took me an extra 3 years to get her to allow me to buy her an iPhone because she said she didn’t need one and now along with the iPad and Kindle it’s a must have.

I have a Huawei T3 MediaPad and I've been very impressed with it - great battery life and build quality. It has Huawei's Android skin and is very straight forward to use. We've bought one for Mrs R's gran and she gets on fabulously with it, she's 80.

They're about £100 mark. (edit - I see them on ebay Currys PCWorld for £110).

I'll second Roberto's post. Huawei pads are simple to use and reasonably priced. To the horror of our 2 elder granddaughter's their 3 year 3 month old younger sister has mastered turning on their Huawei pads and finding either BBC or Netflix kiddies progs.
If a 3 year old can master it Granddad should be fine:D

Gave my 90 yr old dad an older iPad about 3 weeks into lockdown, got him an Apple ID & email address and he FaceTimes both our kids and grandkids weekly, he is the most unlikely techie convert you could imagine, we even got him the daily mirror app!!

Al.

We bought the latest Amazon Fire tablet for my 85 year old father in law. It was £110. You can add Google Play store relatively easy. He uses it to watch movies, sky sports and BT. He hasn't managed to break it. Haven't tried Zoom but it runs on Android so I imagine no issue. You can buy two versions one with advertising and without (which you pay slightly more).

Back
Top Bottom