I Am an Island - Tamsin Calidas

Wapping

Reaction score
An island idyll that turned sour.

There is a possibly interesting review of this new book in today’s Sunday Times. Probably not easy reading but a lesson, if nothing else, that island life is far from easy and that ‘off the grid’ (whatever that means) is harder still.

369b76c86ae8f256e349dbc4864009c6.png

443d737d745213d264c5c2764fe2f08a.png

Sounds like she found out the hard way that the remote island dream will always, eventually, morph into reality. And that reality can be hard work. Folk tend to visit these places in the long summer days and have no idea what is coming in the winter.

Sounds like she's stuck at it so credit to her.

I’m guessing you have to go in with the right attitude as far as the locals are concerned. I can well imagine if you go in with the big “ I am “ way about you that you’ll soon make many enemies. You’d only have to piss one local off and the whole community would be against you. And you can’t blame them either.

There does seem to be something of a backlash towards her perception of what occurred, from other incomers and locals.

Maybe a good read though.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

She seems like an intellegent woman but I would take her ramblings with a big pinch of salt. Having been a resident of Skye and an incomer it really does depend on what your perception of racism is. Is it being asked where you come from? Make no mistake I have been asked some pretty personal questions but racists? not in my experience. Now nosey bastards that is a whole different thing because Islanders are truly nosey.Being from Glasgow i tend not to bother much with halfwitts but i do like to wind them up for entertainment occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom