Recommend me a HDD caddy

Posh Pete

Still got a pulse.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'd like to use the HDD from my old Toshiba Satellite L300 with my Lenovo laptop to access old files and pics. Can someone recommend me one that fits, please? Completely clueless about this stuff. :D

Funny, I was looking at these today. At the risk of a small thread side-jack I'd appreciate a recommend for one for a MacPro (Thunderbolt 3).

For the cost of a new 2.5” bare HDD and a caddy - I wouldn’t put too much expectation in your ‘old’ drive lasting as long as you might hope.

1Tb HDD costs nothing really

Buy As big a drive as you can afford ..

1Tb is peanuts these days, get a hard drive transfer cable, and copy everything off you want of the old drive, then bin it

the mount of small drives i used to keep just in case lol

A USB to SATA Adapter Cable would be the cheapest way of connecting it and retrieving the files , enclosures are very similar from many manufacturers but unless your drive is relativly large in size I would bother

316a113cd39798b5dfcea01350d99570.png

Funny, I was looking at these today. At the risk of a small thread side-jack I'd appreciate a recommend for one for a MacPro (Thunderbolt 3).

Not sure idf they still do them but I am certainly still using my Apple AirPort Extreme thing which does what I assume you need wirelessly
other than that get the Thunderbolt multi usb jack thing ( mine has 4 USB ports, HDMI, ethernet port, SD card slot and through power cost about 20 quid) and then any old HD will do the job

Not sure idf they still do them but I am certainly still using my Apple AirPort Extreme thing which does what I assume you need wirelessly
other than that get the Thunderbolt multi usb jack thing ( mine has 4 USB ports, HDMI, ethernet port, SD card slot and through power cost about 20 quid) and then any old HD will do the job
I was really looking for something a bit bigger. The current MacPro seems to be rather limited in terms of internal HDD capacity. I was thinking of something that would take 4 disks and used the nice fast Thunderbolt 3ports.

I was really looking for something a bit bigger. The current MacPro seems to be rather limited in terms of internal HDD capacity. I was thinking of something that would take 4 disks and used the nice fast Thunderbolt 3ports.

I get that My new Mac book pro has a 1TB SSD in it which is plenty for what I need to store on it the rest of my stuff ( photo archive mainly ) is on the AirPort Extreme which has a further 2 TB which I have partitioned into 2 one half of which I do the time machine back ups to.

How much extra do you need as 1 TB hard drives are cheap enough even for top of range stuff and at the end of it they still have to be plugged into the machine and Im not sure how much faster the Thunderbolt stuff is compared to USB 2, 3 or indeed 4 in the grand scheme of things.

Some sort of NAS drive with raid might do it but that doesn't get your requirements of thunderbolt

One of these would do it for you I suspect but at the price I won't be bothering https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...2a68797f65e5f0ae809d990b531aeb50d38b4dfe52d11

I get that My new Mac book pro has a 1TB SSD in it which is plenty for what I need to store on it the rest of my stuff ( photo archive mainly ) is on the AirPort Extreme which has a further 2 TB which I have partitioned into 2 one half of which I do the time machine back ups to.

How much extra do you need as 1 TB hard drives are cheap enough even for top of range stuff and at the end of it they still have to be plugged into the machine and Im not sure how much faster the Thunderbolt stuff is compared to USB 2, 3 or indeed 4 in the grand scheme of things.

Some sort of NAS drive with raid might do it but that doesn't get your requirements of thunderbolt

One of these would do it for you I suspect but at the price I won't be bothering https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...2a68797f65e5f0ae809d990b531aeb50d38b4dfe52d11
I've seen those and they are quite pricey (that's without disks too!)
I've got a 512GB SSD plus 12TB inside the machine plus another 8TB in a TerraMaster rack and assorted 1 & 2TB portable disks.

With the new MacPro I have to find a solution to take all of those.

Back
Top Bottom