GSA to K16 or not...?

TBH Tanneman, the Reverse gear is a bit 'mickey mouse' - it runs off the starter motor by cable to a worm drive adjacent to the transmission output.

It's a nice idea with a heavy bike but many riders have reported problems.

Thanks again for all comments. I like the K16 and know first-hand how it can really be ridden with enthusiasm, however I’m now more convinced it’s not right for me as a one-for-all bike. A chat today with my local dealership has convinced me to wait a month or so to see if the new S1000XR is less vibey for the pillion.

I had a K16 GT for 15 months and had I still been living "down south" I would still have it.

For long distance touring it was the best bike I have owned - very comfortable, smooth and great power delivery. I took it to Austria on my own for a week to spend time with some Austrian friends and I found it just as much fun around the Grossglockner, Nockalmstrasse, etc as the GS or GSA. Although it is heavy, I always found that the weight felt very low down and, unlike the GSA, I hardly felt the extra weight of pillion and luggage when touring; that aspect made the touring much more relaxed for me too. Because of this I found it more stable in low speed Alpine passes (Umbrail Pass in particular) than the GSA. We found that the OEM GT screen was hopeless for the pillion though but a replacement Wunderlich screen sorted that.

I kept my TC GSA while I had the K16 and now have a 1250GSA mainly because the roads I ride normally are much better suited to the longer travel suspension and my wife found the back of the K16GT a little "bouncy" on the Scottish back roads. If I still lived in Dorset I would still have the K16 and if it were my only bike in that locality then I'd have been very happy with that.

Just an aside, as I mentioned a wheel recall being imminent. Latest I have is that it relates to 2020 model K1600 bikes, manufactured from Sept 2019 through to Jan 2020. Info is sketchy, possibly lost in translation, but it seems that a bolt linking the swing arm to the bevel box, 13 on this diagram, can fail which, given it's position, can then clash with the rear wheel: -

.......... https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...-BMW-K_1600_GTL_17_0F02,_0F12_&diagId=33_1601

You should do it. I went from GSHex-K12GTbrick-K16- gsaLC and now RTLC. Check my previous posts for impressions and differences in detail. I really liked my 16. Glorious engine and amazing traveller. Zero issues with mine too.

It’s a long story, but It was initially a replacement bike instead of my 14my ordered RT due to rear suspension recall scandal, so I took the K for same money basically which was a 3k curtesy bike from a helpful dealer. I liked it so much that by that October when the recall on “my” RT was complete, I kept the K instead. Beautiful 2 years and couple of European trips later I traded in for a gsa due to my mostly London commuting. The k16 was a bit too hot and heavy for that sort of use in the summer.
Eventually (after the gsa was stolen, recovered vandalised and fixed) I ended up with my initial RT plan, which I find the best of both worlds.

Anyway, one thing to keep in mind esp if you are tall, is that the K is much more cramped in the legs than a gsa. It’s also less “farkable” if you are so inclined. Otherwise a great bike for what it’s meant to be. Is it as go anywhere as a gsa? Well, how many people can take a gsa properly off road? Not many. Mild greenlaning and the occasional dirt road to a summit you can do carefully on any bike.

And I do miss it often. That engine note spooling up from low revs.. yum... no boxer comes close. Boxers are overall more tractable more of the time and you can push them to 9/10s and feel like a hero, whereas the k13 and k16 are much more scary high up.
Would I have another? Yes. Waiting for a few years to see the new model.

Have a go. You ll regret it more if you never try than if you try and don’t like. You can always trade down to a boxer again.

Well, after 6 happy years and 2 x LC GSAs I taken the plunge and gone for it, picking up a lupin blue 2018 K1600 GT Sport early next week. If it doesn't prove ideal as a single bike over the next year or two I'll just have to hope by then I have the garage space for a Speed Triple or Monster to sit alongside...!

Well, after 6 happy years and 2 x LC GSAs I taken the plunge and gone for it, picking up a lupin blue 2018 K1600 GT Sport early next week. If it doesn't prove ideal as a single bike over the next year or two I'll just have to hope by then I have the garage space for a Speed Triple or Monster to sit alongside...!

What a terrible predicament to be in :D

Good for you, and best of luck with the new one :thumb

Adjustments.jpg
Thanks all for the comments. I bit the bullet and collected a 2018 K1600 GT Sport yesterday. It is awesome! The only mods so far planned are an MRA Vario spoiler and getting a lupin blue wrap applied to the top half of the Givi top box I’ve fitted.

Just need restrictions to be lifted so we can get away to the Picos...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice one! I recall from my period of ownership, the only extras these need are a front mudguard extender to help keep crap out of the radiator, and a side stand foot thingie. Oh and grip buddies helped as I’ve got big hands ooer.

I had the CalSci medium screen on mine and it was superb, no turbulence at any speed. Standard seats are super comfy, central locking is great.

I’ll be back there one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Damnit. I'm having major biking blues after having come back to a boxer (11GS) from a K16 via a FJR1300. After reading this despite my comments about long term reliability I can't help thinking I made a mistake getting rid of my K....

Oh no, not another signature....

View attachment 455046
Thanks all for the comments. I bit the bullet and collected a 2018 K1600 GT Sport yesterday. It is awesome! The only mods so far planned are an MRA Vario spoiler and getting a lupin blue wrap applied to the top half of the Givi top box I’ve fitted.

Just need restrictions to be lifted so we can get away to the Picos...!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I put a puig screen on mine
9f0f1dfe1280b15544023cc04a21449f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lovely looking bike. :thumb

How on earth do you get that onto the centre stand? :eek:

I have to ware my work boots or bike boots to put it on the stand

Lovely looking bike. :thumb

How on earth do you get that onto the centre stand? :eek:

Like any bike, it is easy if you do not fight it. I watch bods struggling with 1200 GS's and 1600's, simply as they are trying to 'pull' the thing onto its stand, when simply pressing down with a foot onto the stand and letting the bike lever itself up, will work every time.

I have been doing it just of late in deck shoes. It hurts the bottom of my foot but hey, I can't be arsed to put a boot on.

Like any bike, it is easy if you do not fight it. I watch bods struggling with 1200 GS's and 1600's, simply as they are trying to 'pull' the thing onto its stand, when simply pressing down with a foot onto the stand and letting the bike lever itself up, will work every time.

I have been doing it just of late in deck shoes. It hurts the bottom of my foot but hey, I can't be arsed to put a boot on.
This. If you work with the bike it's easy. Fight it and you make it hard work for yourself.

Oh no, not another signature....

Back
Top Bottom