GSA to K16 or not...?

Max_W

Reaction score
Hi there, I've had 2 x WC GSAs (2014 and 2017) and have loved them, but I now feel the need for something different with more power that makes me grin when I wind it on. I want to move away from the boxer engine for a bit because even the 1250 isn't different enough for what I'm after. My riding is 2/3 commuting on mostly A-roads, and 1/3 touring with a pillion. Sadly the S1000XR had too much buffeting and was too vibey through the seat and pegs for my other half.

There are loads of posts on-line from people who have been glad to go back to a GSA from a K16, but have many in a similar position made the GS/GSA move to K16 and not regretted it? I have an awesome dealer (Bahnstormer) and want to stick with BMW if possible. Thanks for any comments.

Max

I’ve had a boxer engined bike in my garage since 2002. Still ride an RT for work. I was bought up on twins, never been a fan of Japanese multi cylinder bikes but I had a go on a mates K1600:blast. Absolutely addictive power combined with comfort and refinement. I’m not keen on the looks of the GTL and my wife felt buffeted and exposed on the pillion, GT with a top case is imho a better all rounder. Having said that I went for a grand America! My wife says it’s the most comfy bike she’s toured on. It’s not my only bike, so mainly used for 2 up riding. Will I go back to a boxer? Maybe, probably, but for now I’m loving it:D

Have a go on the new S1000XR ;)

Tempting! But I now realise the mistake I made when I first took my other half out pillion for the first time a couple of years ago. Take them out on a GSA and you'll never get away with anything less comfortable after that!

Ultimately I hope to have the space for 2 bikes so a Speed Triple or Monster might join the stable, but having to constrain myself to a single bike, I'm struggling to find anything better suited to my needs now than a K16 GT Sport. If I could find a K13 locally I might be tempted to try the o/h on it...

Though I do like it (though I say like and not love) I wouldn't have a K16 as my only bike, I don't see it as a bike to scratch all itches. Granted, mine is a GTL, but anyway.

It's it is just power you're after probably best take Nutty's advice..

K13s are getting on a bit now but I loved mine and so did my pillion - heated seats always a clincher! Fantastic power plant and cruise control, electric screen, beautifully faired etc. Bags of luggage room and not too heavy - felt very similar to the GSA TC two up and fully loaded. Cost, running costs and early issues put me off the K16 although the early gremlins are probably all sorted. Wapping will be along probably to talk you through his ownership of many of these.

(I've now got a 10yr old ST1300 Pan as my tourer and all-year ride and it's a fantastic bike for £4.5k all sorted. Lacks the sophistication and trickery of a K16 of course but does what it says on the tin in some style. Wish I'd had one years ago!)

I loved mine, shame about the build quality and the paint that came off in flakes. Add to that having a computer for every occasion on board and I decided post warranty it was way too expensive to keep.

Oh no, not another signature....

How about a multistrada?

That's prob my final option. Am currently waiting on a response to see if the local Ducati dealer if offering rides yet. My other half didn't like being higher than me on the pillion seat of the S1000XR, and the MS looks like it might have the same problem. There's an ex demo MS Enduro which does look nice though...fingers crossed for a ride soon.

Thanks for all the other comments, much appreciated. Other touring-specific bikes may well be awesome, but at 43 I just can't bring myself to follow the Pan European / Goldwing / H-D route just yet...! :D

I did. I found it a little sparse and unrefined, and not quite as welcoming as the GSA or K16.

Did go well mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The new 2020 XR? I didn't think dealers had them yet?

The K1600 is a big old bus, whichever guise you choose - super smooth engine, but it's a complex bike, obviously with 6 of everything & has a few quirks, so get yourself an extended test ride before getting too committed. Nobody should influence your likes/dislikes; these decisions are very personal - there is plentiful info on the K1600 forum, if you haven't visited already.

Just be aware that the core of the original design has gone largely unchanged since launch, so EU legislation will catch up with the old girl at the end of this year, unless extensions are granted due to Covid-19. BMW have yet to announce plans, indeed everything seems to have been focused on the R18 launch of late. Many K16 owners are still squealing about the gearbox recall last September & there is talk of a rear wheel recall that has yet to emerge beyond submission of papers to the EU.

The K1600 is a big old bus, whichever guise you choose - super smooth engine, but it's a complex bike, obviously with 6 of everything & has a few quirks, so get yourself an extended test ride before getting too committed. Nobody should influence your likes/dislikes; these decisions are very personal - there is plentiful info on the K1600 forum, if you haven't visited already.

Just be aware that the core of the original design has gone largely unchanged since launch, so EU legislation will catch up with the old girl at the end of this year, unless extensions are granted due to Covid-19. BMW have yet to announce plans, indeed everything seems to have been focused on the R18 launch of late. Many K16 owners are still squealing about the gearbox recall last September & there is talk of a rear wheel recall that has yet to emerge beyond submission of papers to the EU.

Useful musings, thanks! I've had a K1600 several times now as a courtesy bike or for test rides, so I've a good few hours riding them. Just not sure about it as the only bike for all purposes...!

Useful musings, thanks! I've had a K1600 several times now as a courtesy bike or for test rides, so I've a good few hours riding them. Just not sure about it as the only bike for all purposes...!

Definitely not multi purpose IMHO, but would fit nicely with say a baby GS. The trouble is you may find yourself using the little bike more than a sports tourer, especially the way we are constrained this season.

had the 1600gt for one year now only done 3500 miles,done germany /iom ,missed scotland this year so far.
i had a 1200r sport last year brilliant bike but not for me when 2 up,
love the 1600, yes it a big bus but hey ho learn to park it in the car park and you will be ok.
have a go ,do a few miles you will love it.

I'm on my 3rd K1600. In my time I've had R100GS, R1150GS, R1200GS and R1200LC GS. Yes it's a big old bus and you need to take care at slow speed and when parking but for 2-up continental touring it is magnificent; smooth, comfortable and with great handling. It is my only motorcycle that my wife will now ride pillion on so be warned; once your partner is adjusted to the comfort they will not want to step back and down to a GS.

The sheer size does mean that you cannot take the liberties you would with a GS, especially on poor surfaces, but it is a trade-off I'm willing to make. My 701 can deal with the dirt.

Take it on a good test ride, then decide.

No not the new one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I’m talking about the 2020 bike. Apparently the new one is meant to be much smoother and more refined, so they say.

Any GS is more capable on broken surface and tight twisting roads. The K16 would suit the roads you like riding on given that the surfaces stays in good condition. It would require some skill to maneuver in the Alps on some of the tight passes due to its weight but after a while of doing it you won't notice. It is a bike that you have be in front of, it requires a bit more input from the rider because it hides the speed it does and it is a heavy beast. That said it has very good dynamics. If you are adept in slow speed turns and maneuvers without putting a foot down then you should be ok. It is a cracking bike. The reason I don't have one is because I prefer riding the roads less traveled. The new one has a reverse gear and that takes the pain out of planning your parking a bit.

Back
Top Bottom