Oh No not Gearbox spline greasing

velo

Reaction score
R100R gearbox to clutch splines need lubricating occasionally, apparently. So I thought after 28 years, it being lock down, I'd better get on with it. Is it Optimol PL or Optimol White paste T, or Honda 60. All three have their advocates on line but the whole subject seems to provoke a lot of words but is light on technical appraisal. It was originally greased with a grey/black grease which I assume was PL. Advice please.

Manufacturers often use colour to identify the type of grease, however if it matches the specs required to lubricate the splines that is what counts.

If you were near me you could use my supply - you only need a smidge. Failing that, ring Motorworks/Motobins etc they will send you a tube. You don’t really need to get too technical. I’ve got black and white grease FWIW; both for same application.

To lube the splines...any decent moly grease.
To seal the boot....any decent white marine grease.

Thanks for suggestions. Job done using Honda 60- not too much of course!

A nice read on the subject half way down this page https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/chemicalsetc.htm
I used the loctite, seems like good stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions. Job done - using Honda 60- not too much of course! I had a little Pl left in a spray can but the Honda stuff was easier to apply using a square ended palette knife to fill the splines but avoid overdoing it.

To lube the splines...any decent moly grease..

That is incorrect- A moly grease will typically contain 3% - 15% molybdenum disulphide - not sufficient to prevent wear on the spline surfaces.

A moly paste will contain a minimum of 40% molybdenum disulphide, the clue is usually in the name - Honda Moly 60 is 60%.

This is what you need to minimise the wear on the splines.

Moly-60.jpg

I have used this for the past 8-10 years - it's filthy stuff but does the job and at 60% it is a fraction of the price of the small OEM tubes.

You are welcome to a egg-spoon full, which is enough for several splne jobs !

That is incorrect- A moly grease will typically contain 3% - 15% molybdenum disulphide - not sufficient to prevent wear on the spline surfaces.

A moly paste will contain a minimum of 40% molybdenum disulphide, the clue is usually in the name - Honda Moly 60 is 60%.

This is what you need to minimise the wear on the splines.

I have used this for the past 8-10 years - it's filthy stuff but does the job and at 60% it is a fraction of the price of the small OEM tubes.

You are welcome to a egg-spoon full, which is enough for several splne jobs !

Mouse milk. I've never seen spline wear so long as they were greased. My experience is from heavy machinery rather than bikes.
But hey....you pays your money and takes your choice. As you say its only a tiny amount.

Last word from me on the subject

Mouse milk. I've never seen spline wear so long as they were greased. My experience is from heavy machinery rather than bikes.
But hey....you pays your money and takes your choice. As you say its only a tiny amount.

Just to say that Honda 60 is what I used because I had some. One other lesson is that a 27mm thin-wall socket with a cut-out enabling the use of an allen key to hold the swingarm pins while they are torqued is cheaply available as a standard tool for fuel injector servicing from Sealey etc. Now it's on to dealing with a screeching starter motor. Apparently Valeo upgraded their stupid 'glue only' magnets to 'glue and clips' in about 2002 and the part number became D6RA15. Excellent web site is www.largiader.com/tech/valeo. Keep well!

Back
Top Bottom