Warming up to a DRZ - few questions.

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a DRZ400E to do (and learn) some greenlaning and potentially have a cheaper/lighter bike than the GSA to trash around.
Looks like they are not really easy to find... so it might take a while.

Questions:

I'm very heavy (6'3", 17st) while I can loose some weight, I'd still be on the heavy side. Am I going to squish it?
How much am I looking at in replacing the springs?

Common faults, things to look at?

I was told not to get the S. Correct?

Not very important, but what's the average range with a full tank?

Thanks in advance.

I'm thinking about buying a DRZ400E to do (and learn) some greenlaning and potentially have a cheaper/lighter bike than the GSA to trash around.
Looks like they are not really easy to find... so it might take a while.

Questions:

I'm very heavy (6'3", 17st) while I can loose some weight, I'd still be on the heavy side. Am I going to squish it?
How much am I looking at in replacing the springs?

Common faults, things to look at?

I was told not to get the S. Correct?

Not very important, but what's the average range with a full tank?

Thanks in advance.

Main problem is they have a very short (internally) close ratio 5 speed gearbox, which makes it difficult to get the right balance between road and trail
I had a S and have had an E too
Standard gearing on the S and you would be hitting 5th by the end of a 30 limit, never had a bike with such a close ratio box
It did get tiresome
Make sure the gearbox output bearing has been changed to a stainless steel one and new seal
Better to learn how to kickstart a bike and get a XR 400 R - better bike all round, good on road and trail with a great chassis
More plentiful used, than a DRZ too
5ee24e0ed3d06eee4ddb71593008769e.jpg

I tried the drz400s and e models out and off road found them a bit of a donk and the 5 speed box is a pain on the road .

In the end bought one of these , same motor (and box unfortunately) but much higher spec suspension and a better carb

Attachments

• ccm 14.jpg
    ccm 14.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 295
I tried the drz400s and e models out and off road found them a bit of a donk and the 5 speed box is a pain on the road .

In the end bought one of these , same motor (and box unfortunately) but much higher spec suspension and a better carb

Same carb, as the E Model DRZ though

er-minio, I bought a DRZ400E as my introduction to green laning. It was the thing to do apparently, the ideal first timers bike everybody said..........

I hated it. I'm 6ft / 85kg so not as big as you but even with a lowering link fitted I found it (as a novice) too tall, way too heavy and just generally ponderous / slow steering. In the end I 'SMd' it and used it for a couple of seasons hill climbing; it was much better at that :D

They are solid and reliable bikes but other than that I'm at a loss to understand what they are such highly regarded bikes :nenau IMO it stems from a time when there was far less choice of capable off road dual sport bikes so they carved a legitimate niche in the market. Since then bikes have moved on tremendously but some sort of myth has built up around these bikes where time seems to have stood still.................

Oh and the next ' first timer' dirt bike I got? A Husaberg 450 off Timolgra. Most people I'm sure would say that's not a beginners off roader but you know what, it's the one dirt bike I really regret selling as it was the lightest, sweetest engined, easiest off road bike to ride I've ever had :)

Will you be riding to the trails or trailering/vaning the bike there as that will inform what sort of compromises you need to make with the bike dependent on haw far you have to ride..........that was another thing that wound me up about the DRZ as my favourite trails in the Peaks were an hour's ride away.

Andres

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I knew about the gearing. Might be an issue as I'll have to "commute" to the green lanes (Surrey/Essex/Kent) and I live in central-ish London :eek:

but even with a lowering link fitted I found it (as a novice) too tall,

Too tall for me is actually good.
I've been greenlaning with the GSA (Ohlinsh and all) and I can manage that fairly easily even in mud, etc. So the taller the better.

I'm at a loss to understand what they are such highly regarded bikes

Service interval, simple mechanics?
I don't really want to spend a lot of money on a bike (ideally <3k) I'll probably use once or twice a month.
I'm ok with a painful bit on asphalt since the use would be limited.
I think electric starter is an imperative for me :D

In reality, main pain points with the DRZ-E is that they are fucking hard to find used... :D :D :D

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I knew about the gearing. Might be an issue as I'll have to "commute" to the green lanes (Surrey/Essex/Kent) and I live in central-ish London :eek:

Too tall for me is actually good.
I've been greenlaning with the GSA (Ohlinsh and all) and I can manage that fairly easily even in mud, etc. So the taller the better.

Service interval, simple mechanics?
I don't really want to spend a lot of money on a bike (ideally <3k) I'll probably use once or twice a month.
I'm ok with a painful bit on asphalt since the use would be limited.
I think electric starter is an imperative for me :D

Ha, that's funny..............I'd ridden off road as a yoof but my introduction in my 'later years' was when I bought my 1200GS. Knowing no better I just went out and green laned it......a lot....... :) I still found the DRZ a handful though :nenau

Oh and re the electric foot, speaking as one who is just about to go for a spin on his Bultaco, I couldn't fecking agree more :D

Andres

Maybe keep a look out for a ccm 404 as well as the DRZ ? Believe the engines from the E model/higher output one and better suspension (White Power) etc

Knowing no better I just went out and green laned it......a lot...

haha – I get you. :D

I'm actually pretty shite offroad, so I never really ventured much. But I started getting bored of tarmac riding (around London) as the roads are not so inspiring. Greenlaning the GS is way more fun. I agree.
Also, my other main bike activity (apart from traveling) is on track, but that's spring/summer only. Greenlaning will keep me going through the winter. I also have to get all the gear. Don't think enduro on a onesie leather suit is a good look :D

I really want to learn though, a lighter bike might be the way to go. I just potter around at the moment.
This summer in France I realised I have no understanding on how to "negotiate" an off-road corner at speed... etc.
Also less expensive to fix when you drop it. :lol:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VlnEfEaCbZg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In reality I got stuck in mud a few times with the GS last year and it was "painful" to push it through.
gsmud.png

I'm open to other (cheapo) enduro bikes. I just really know very little about this segment.

Better to learn how to kickstart a bike and get a XR 400 R - better bike all round, good on road and trail with a great chassis

Just to contradict myself regarding what I just said about the electric starter... found an XR400 for decently low price.
In Hereford though... trying to see if I can get it to London. Or I can go pick it up with a van.

Just to contradict myself regarding what I just said about the electric starter... found an XR400 for decently low price.
In Hereford though... trying to see if I can get it to London. Or I can go pick it up with a van.

Once you learn the technique it’s fine
Taken mine for MOT this morning
Not started for a month
Fuel on
Choke on
Push through on the starter 5-6 times with decompression lever in, no resistance
Then let decompression lever out
Bring kickstart to top and kicked it and it started first kick
Easy Peasy

Once you learn the technique it’s fine
Taken mine for MOT this morning
Not started for a month
Fuel on
Choke on
Push through on the starter 5-6 times with decompression lever in, no resistance
Then let decompression lever out
Bring kickstart to top and kicked it and it started first kick
Easy Peasy

This is all fine of course when starting in the garage or outside the cake shop but balls deep in the mud and you've stalled it for the 3rd time in as many yards.. or come off & landed somewhere nearby twisted your right ankle whilst the bikes also on the floor & merrily flooding itself ;)

This is all fine of course when starting in the garage or outside the cake shop but balls deep in the mud and you've stalled it for the 3rd time in as many yards.. or come off & landed somewhere nearby twisted your right ankle whilst the bikes also on the floor & merrily flooding itself ;)

:agree

Especially if you're on a learning curve - you want to be focussing on riding and picking it up, not having to kick it over at stupid angles when you're knackered and still have a way to go.

I've had a number of XR400s and KTMs for off road and KTM with electric start would be my choice because they're just easier and, IMHO, better.

but balls deep in the mud and you've stalled it for the 3rd time in as many yards..

I know. That's my worry.

But this bike comes at 1.5k...

Never had a problem, starting on the trail...................always spot on - had XR's since 1994 and never had a bad'un the same can't be said for KTM or other makes I ride with

I have had allsorts of exotic enduro bikes, with electric start - but never been without a XR, in the garage and all the other bikes have been sold in preference

Seen plenty of others, where the battery goes flat (especially on euro dirt bikes) and then they have to kick start it (if they have one) or tow it out as many enduro bikes have deleted the kickstarter

Not sure if I'm gonna say something very stupid, but...
I'm decently heavy, might not make sense to go towards small engines?

Find one of the rare XR400's converted to take an electric start using trx quad bits (if you can )

Back
Top Bottom