Horn Sounding when Start button Pressed HELP!

Phaeton

Reaction score
Son has just pulled the 05 plate R1200GS out of the garage, it's been there since Friday before lockdown when it went for a MOT, it was then put back in garage & Oxford charger put on it. He's just turned ignition on & no lights, so got jump leads onto his car, now everything appears to work, light, indicators, horn etc. Until you press the Start button at which point the horn sounds & only disconnecting the battery stops it.

Initially thought it was the horn, but it now sounds like the alarm, we've taken the starter motor off, that although slightly slow spins over, putting it back on the bike it will spin the engine over hot wiring it.

As you switch on the ignition the alarm blips, the engine symbol comes up with EWS then goes off, triangle comes on goes off, green light with ABS flashing, then as soon as you touch the starter button the alarm sounds, it sounds like the alarm is not switching off, didn't even realise it had one, same with both keys, is there a chip in them?

We have the starter motor off the bike, but wired up to the bike, press the starter & the starter motor spins, put it back in the bike & the alarm sounds, is there a voltage protection circuit that trips if the current tries to draw too much & sets off the alarm?

Disconnect the alarm and try to start the bike.

If we disconnect the reader/ring for want of a better word around the ignition key then the EWS comes up in big letters across the screen, pressing the start button nothing happens.

Where is the alarm unit, if that is disconnected would it normally start?

When the son comes home from work tonight we are going to try to bump start the bike, if it then runs we think we have then isolated the issue to the starter, or at least that's our logic?

Good luck trying to bump start it ;)

EWS displaying on the kombi = bike will not start !

The rest is as the others have said

EWS displaying on the kombi = bike will not start !
Sorry maybe I didn't explain correctly, we don't have EWS showing?

We only get that when we disconnect the connection to the ring around the key. Normally we switch on it shows BMW Motorrad, then it shows an engine symbol with a exclamation mark, which clears, then flashing red triangle which goes out, leaving just neutral & ABS flashing, just like normal, then on pressing start what we thought was the horn, but could be the alarm sounds & all the indicators light up.

Sorry maybe I didn't explain correctly, we don't have EWS showing?

We only get that when we disconnect the connection to the ring around the key. Normally we switch on it shows BMW Motorrad, then it shows an engine symbol with a exclamation mark, which clears, then flashing red triangle which goes out, leaving just neutral & ABS flashing, just like normal, then on pressing start what we thought was the horn, but could be the alarm sounds & all the indicators light up.
Horn sounding and lights flashing is showing the alarm is activating.

My guess, is the alarm was previously switched off (deactivated) but when the battery went flat (as can the separate alarm battery) and you restarted the bike, it defaulted back on and then activated.

Of course, someone else may have a better suggestion.

The problem is, how do you reset the alarm without the remote fobs?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

My guess, is the alarm was previously switched off (deactivated) but when the battery went flat (as can the separate alarm battery) and you restarted the bike, it defaulted back on and then activated.

Disconnect it, or get a spare fob and sync it ??

According to vindecoding it didnt have an alarm fitted out of the factory so it may have one fitted afterwards...

which may go some way to why the op dosent have a fob

Disconnect it, or get a spare fob and sync it ??
I think to program a new remote to it you have to set the alarm into that mode, which you can't do without an existing remote, otherwise anyone could rock up pair a remote and then deactivate the alarm.

Of course, I'm assuming that its oem bmw and not aftermarket.

Where is the alarm unit, if that is disconnected would it normally start?

Under the rear tail unit. Easiest way to access the alarm is by removing the rear mudguard, which the alarm is attached to.

Requires undoing 6-7 small torq headed bolts underneth which hold the rear light unit and mudguard in place. It then drops down, the alarm (if fitted) is attached, just unplug it.

Okay guys so that's the new plan for tonight, Thank you

The only thing I can't understand is, we had the starter motor on the floor, still wired to the bike on pressing the starter button the starter spun up. unless of course the alarm is monitoring the engine turning & not cutting the power to the starter,

The only thing I can't understand is, we had the starter motor on the floor, still wired to the bike on pressing the starter button the starter spun up. unless of course the alarm is monitoring the engine turning & not cutting the power to the starter,
I'd have to check the circuit diagrams, but it is likely with key in ignition you can still spin the starter motor, but the ignition/fuel pump side is dead (due to alarm), you'd need to check if there's either a spark or fuel being injected.

Right, here we go...... attach jump leads to another battery/vehicle and attach the earth to a good earth on the bike. Remove starter motor cover. Turn ignition on. Touch jump lead positive to the lower live on the starter motor. This will activate the starter motor and the bike should fire up.

If you can't get your head around what i've written then put the tools down, don't lick the jump leads and keep them away from your testicles.

Right, here we go...... attach jump leads to another battery/vehicle and attach the earth to a good earth on the bike. Remove starter motor cover. Turn ignition on. Touch jump lead positive to the lower live on the starter motor. This will activate the starter motor and the bike should fire up.

If you can't get your head around what i've written then put the tools down, don't lick the jump leads and keep them away from your testicles.

We did the same but different last night, using jump leads, positive on the main bolt on the starter, earth on the engine/starter body, removed exciter wire from starter & replaced with a fly lead, ignition on, touching the fly lead to positive to bring in the solenoid, Alarm sounds.

Using jump leads, positive on the main bolt on the starter, earth on the engine/starter body, ignition on, pressing starter button, Alarm sounds.

Starter motor removed from bike laid on floor, using a set of jump leads & fly lead starter was wired as it was when installed on bike, either pressing starter or rewiring fly lead to positive has the starter spinning.

I think we are doing the same as you are suggesting, as you have to pull in the solenoid in to get the motor to turn.

Back
Top Bottom