Fast switching topographic maps on the XT. An investigation.

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok.
I really like the "fast switching" option for layers on the map view of the Zumo XT (apologies for the crappy mobile phone photos, I was too lazy to take actual screenshots):

layers_menu.jpg

layers_menu_open.jpg

This is effectively showing and hiding extra maps on top of the City Navigator cartography.

Now, what I'm thinking is:

I use a local topo map (from the-thorns.org.uk). Is there any way to make the zumo recognise it a the topographic layer in that menu?
I explain: when I select "topographic" from the side menu, I want my custom map to be shown, not the Garmin one.

I suppose it has to be done by specifying the cartography type in the map file's header?

Has anyone messed with this already?
It could be handy as it would allow you to quickly switch maps without having to go back into the settings menu.

It won't break, I guess?

No, just backup the original map file.
I'm still trying to understand how. To be fair I just did a quick look on Google about this. I'll search more extensively this eve after finishing work... and tonight during my usual insomnia hours :D :D

If anyone on the forum has done any map editing/creation, any pointers would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom