1250 GS suspension query

There has been mentioned suspension from TT as an alternative setup.
This is a rather costly route.

If OP decides that ESA does not fully satisfy his needs, allow me to suggest an alternative to TT.
https://www.wilbers.de/produkte/neueste-entwicklungen/archiv/bmw/bmw-r-1250-gs-adventure-2019/wilbers-fahrwerk-fuer-die-bmw-r-1250-gs-adventure-wilbers-fa.html

Wilbers shocks offers customized spring based on riders weight and load preference. The difference to the TT is that they reuse the electronics from the OEM ESA shocks, hence, the much lower price.

My 2c

If OP decides that ESA does not fully satisfy his needs, allow me to suggest an alternative to TT.
https://www.wilbers.de/produkte/neueste-entwicklungen/archiv/bmw/bmw-r-1250-gs-adventure-2019/wilbers-fahrwerk-fuer-die-bmw-r-1250-gs-adventure-wilbers-fa.html

Wilbers shocks offers customized spring based on riders weight and load preference. The difference to the TT is that they reuse the electronics from the OEM ESA shocks, hence, the much lower price.

My 2c

Excellent, many thanks

My 2c

But it does not have the adjustment the TT has .

I'm new to these GS things having just got a 1250GS last week after it being on hold due to lockdown.

As I'm a 17 st without riding kit "real man"/"fat bastard"(delete as applicable) I usually put stronger springs on my bikes to get the sag right. The dealer told me that's not necessary with ESA as it auto adjusts to your weight. OK I understand the principle but to me you still need the correct base weight/strength spring before adjusting preload to suit. As for setting sag on a GS, hmmm, I've no idea where to start.

Comments and advice welcome please.

I had Wilbers ESA fitted on my 2010 GSA and it was a superior suspension to my new 1250GSA. Give them a call and have a chat. Real nice genuine guys.
If I could afford to change my suspension to Wilbers I would.
https://wilberssuspension.co.uk

My 2c

Can’t see the price for Wilbers setup on a 2017 GSA, anyone have a ball park figure for a ride in ride out change over ?

A friend of mine had Wilbers fitted to his 2010 GSA after riding mine with Wilbers as he was so impressed. When he rode my 1250GSA with ESA he was disappointed.
I suffer with my back and notice that the supposedly clever ESA sometimes gets it wrong and stiffens up too much. It has also periodically got confused and has lowered the suspension thus I couldn’t get the side stand down.
BMW suspension is good and better than most but It is built to a price and there is better out there.
I personally think the earlier ESA was better but that’s just my opinion.

Suspension

I am not unhappy with my suspension mine is a late 1200 GSA so has the auto suspension height adjustment but this bike is a keeper and when the suspension starts to get tired 💤 maybe around the 30k mark, I hope not before:D, I will treat myself to an upgrade either wilbers or TT, a lot cheaper than a change of bike:thumby:

A lot of folks seem to complain about the automatic ESA suspension

I’ve got a 2016 GS with the 3 preload settings for the ESA, 1 up, 2 up, 2 up with luggage, and I find it cock on for each scenario

I'm new to these GS things having just got a 1250GS last week after it being on hold due to lockdown.

As I'm a 17 st without riding kit "real man"/"fat bastard"(delete as applicable) I usually put stronger springs on my bikes to get the sag right. The dealer told me that's not necessary with ESA as it auto adjusts to your weight. OK I understand the principle but to me you still need the correct base weight/strength spring before adjusting preload to suit. As for setting sag on a GS, hmmm, I've no idea where to start.

Comments and advice welcome please.

Auto is very good, be cautious if on sidehill, as sometimes it pushes you high up, when heavy weight I set to auto, works very good, and when no heavy load, I set to low, and very comfy and no surprise with foot on floor, 115 kgs and low is no problem.

But it does not have the adjustment the TT has .

To be honest, I have not tried neither TT dampers nor Wilbers WESA dampers. But I was under the impression that they both integrate with the BMW suspension control.
TT dampers replace the parts in the shocks and preload by their own design, but acting like ESA, and Wilbers reuse the OEM ESA parts from the owners own shocks.

Please enlighten me, what does the TT dampers do that the Wilbers WESA shocks do not?

To be honest, I have not tried neither TT dampers nor Wilbers WESA dampers. But I was under the impression that they both integrate with the BMW suspension control.
TT dampers replace the parts in the shocks and preload by their own design, but acting like ESA, and Wilbers reuse the OEM ESA parts from the owners own shocks.

Please enlighten me, what does the TT dampers do that the Wilbers WESA shocks do not?

TT shocks , to keep it simple , are a complete unit , bigger , more fluid , better design ie remote and additional remote fluid bottle for the auto adjustment , this is not on the standard . Wilbur’s use a split of parts from the original thus relying on the original system (same units but with bolt on reservoir). The TT are stand alone only using the the the electronics, but supported by a better , more tuned system of valves , porting of piston allowed a better fluid movement in the suspension system , thus better and adjustable . Fluid movement and also keeping the fluid cool is the secret alongside good valving (shims) and spring rate makes the perfect mix , now back to the bar
Pre 2017 the system was a replacement from Wilbur’s which was great , but the new system is different and not , as yet , as good , as it depends on the original too much

Found this , long but interesting . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-b6VR1A5CQ

The deal breaker for me was, if you use TT shocks you keep your origional shocks intact and can put them back on the bike when you change/sell your bike then put your TT shock on your new bike or sell it.
Second hand, which do you think is most likely sell and hold a better price TT or Wilburs.
Now I have the TT shocks dialled in the suspension performance is much more controlled. Previously on my '17 lowered GS the ROAD damping settings in all thee modes were the worst of all being woefully under damped on the rebound to the extent that I felt it verged on dangerous. Now I leave it in ROAD/ROAD most of the time as it copes with everything our British roads have to offer.

You can also send your shocks to Esarepair here in Holland they make Touratech shocks, so can fix inside your shocks with TT stuff for cheaper than full TT, but remember full TT is still better materiel.

https://www.esarepair.com/

Back
Top Bottom