Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Fantastic service and unbelievable performance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1250 GS suspension query

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Is that on A 1250 Pal ? I find on my gs1250a with passenger its a bit soft but i always have suspension on auto.At some point this year i will be changing it for the Touratech set up.
    Yes, it’s a 1250 GS low-chassis. Maybe the slightly shorter travel suspension makes a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by BDG View Post
    I'm new to these GS things having just got a 1250GS last week after it being on hold due to lockdown.

As I'm a 17 st without riding kit "real man"/"fat bastard"(delete as applicable) I usually put stronger springs on my bikes to get the sag right. The dealer told me that's not necessary with ESA as it auto adjusts to your weight. OK I understand the principle but to me you still need the correct base weight/strength spring before adjusting preload to suit. As for setting sag on a GS, hmmm, I've no idea where to start.

Comments and advice welcome please.
    Stick it on auto and it will be fine for a 17 stoner, lots of guys like me ride two-up and you won’t find many two-ups running less than 17 stone. If you find the ride a little bouncy run it in dynamic on the suspension mode. You can change it on the fly in two seconds, and see which you prefer....simples.

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    Yes, it’s a 1250 GS low-chassis. Maybe the slightly shorter travel suspension makes a difference?
    Yes the shorter travel suspension must make a difference.Think the touratech suspension will sort that for me after speaking to Stick and how they set it up.
    lets av it

Quote Originally Posted by batman1 View Post
    Stick it on auto and it will be fine for a 17 stoner, lots of guys like me ride two-up and you won’t find many two-ups running less than 17 stone. If you find the ride a little bouncy run it in dynamic on the suspension mode. You can change it on the fly in two seconds, and see which you prefer....simples.
    That’s exactly what I’ve done thanks and it’s better. Having run dirt bikes for years I always set the suspension sag to suit and the same on road bikes. Two of my last bikes have been notorious for being softly sprung on the rear, Africa Twin and Tenere 700 and both benefited greatly from being re sprung for my weight and the sag set correctly.

There has been mentioned suspension from TT as an alternative setup.
    This is a rather costly route.

If OP decides that ESA does not fully satisfy his needs, allow me to suggest an alternative to TT.
    https://www.wilbers.de/produkte/neue...ilbers-fa.html

Wilbers shocks offers customized spring based on riders weight and load preference. The difference to the TT is that they reuse the electronics from the OEM ESA shocks, hence, the much lower price.

My 2c

Quote Originally Posted by knutk View Post

If OP decides that ESA does not fully satisfy his needs, allow me to suggest an alternative to TT.

Wilbers shocks offers customized spring based on riders weight and load preference. The difference to the TT is that they reuse the electronics from the OEM ESA shocks, hence, the much lower price.

My 2c
    Excellent, many thanks

Something interesting I found about the suspension sag on a GS

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pxIOGTh2tu8

My 2c
    But it does not have the adjustment the TT has .

Quote Originally Posted by BDG View Post
    I'm new to these GS things having just got a 1250GS last week after it being on hold due to lockdown.

As I'm a 17 st without riding kit "real man"/"fat bastard"(delete as applicable) I usually put stronger springs on my bikes to get the sag right. The dealer told me that's not necessary with ESA as it auto adjusts to your weight. OK I understand the principle but to me you still need the correct base weight/strength spring before adjusting preload to suit. As for setting sag on a GS, hmmm, I've no idea where to start.

Comments and advice welcome please.
    I had Wilbers ESA fitted on my 2010 GSA and it was a superior suspension to my new 1250GSA. Give them a call and have a chat. Real nice genuine guys.
    If I could afford to change my suspension to Wilbers I would.
    https://wilberssuspension.co.uk

My 2c
    Can’t see the price for Wilbers setup on a 2017 GSA, anyone have a ball park figure for a ride in ride out change over ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie Danger View Post
    Thanks �� about £1400 for both shocks plus postage or I guess a fitting charge, so under 2k all done for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post
    Thanks �� about £1400 for both shocks plus postage or I guess a fitting charge, so under 2k all done for sure
    I think it will be well under 2K and you get to talk to John who reassuringly knows his stuff. With the bike being set up specifically for you it makes a big difference to comfort and handling.

A friend of mine had Wilbers fitted to his 2010 GSA after riding mine with Wilbers as he was so impressed. When he rode my 1250GSA with ESA he was disappointed.
    I suffer with my back and notice that the supposedly clever ESA sometimes gets it wrong and stiffens up too much. It has also periodically got confused and has lowered the suspension thus I couldn’t get the side stand down.
    BMW suspension is good and better than most but It is built to a price and there is better out there.
    I personally think the earlier ESA was better but that’s just my opinion.

Suspension

I am not unhappy with my suspension mine is a late 1200 GSA so has the auto suspension height adjustment but this bike is a keeper and when the suspension starts to get tired 💤 maybe around the 30k mark, I hope not before, I will treat myself to an upgrade either wilbers or TT, a lot cheaper than a change of bike

Dark Side of the Moon (Haute Loire) France
    A lot of folks seem to complain about the automatic ESA suspension

I’ve got a 2016 GS with the 3 preload settings for the ESA, 1 up, 2 up, 2 up with luggage, and I find it cock on for each scenario

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast