Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scottish tourism sites

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Scottish tourism sites

Whilst doing the routes around Scotland, I found these sites useful for additional information.

https://www.visitscotland.com/

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/

Some ideas to visit the North-East of Scotland where the roads won't be as busy as the west coast etc:

https://www.northeast250.com/

And if you want to do some of your travelling by foot power, this has some nice walks:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

Scottish tourism sites

Thank you.

I’ll carve the NE250 into BaseCamp at some point.

The walking routes download well. Here’s a sample of one, downloaded via an iPad into the Pocket Earth app:

You could certainly download a walk straight into a phone or handheld GPS device, better still if they had some reasonably good map applications installed. For most things, Pocket Earth would maybe be good enough, I think.

Buchan and the North East around and above Aberdeen is much neglected and has a lot of fine roads and interesting places to visit. You might need google translate for the Doric in Peterhead though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Purveyor of the finest dreary verbal diahrrea.(sic)

Quote Originally Posted by Posh Pete View Post
    Buchan and the North East around and above Aberdeen is much neglected and has a lot of fine roads and interesting places to visit. You might need google translate for the Doric in Peterhead though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I spent many holidays as a child in Elgin/Lossiemouth and surrounding areas, it really is a different language altogether.

Roads to from Pennan are some of my favourites, plenty of bends / climbs and dips, and hardly any traffic. Still not seen a two stroke bike buzzing by the telephone kiosk though!

The more I look at Scotland (and Ireland) the more I see that it as to offer. With France a no-go zone, it's northwards to which to set the sights on the sites.

Too many assholes...........not enough missiles
    I had a bike based in Huntly for 5 years and its a fantastic area.

Tomintoul, the 500, etc etc etc all in easy reach.

Im hoping to go again soon, as it looks like my Turkey trip may not happen, I think I might do a all way round British coast trip if allowed

And don't forget about the islands, great variety. A good trip is to ferry hop from Adrossan all the way to Ullapool. If you check Calmac routes you can link it all together for a cracking trip.

https://www.calmac.co.uk/interactivemap

Then you have the Orkney and the Shetland isles, very different again.

Very good site for Scottish campsites...
    http://www.scottishcamping.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    The more I look at Scotland (and Ireland) the more I see that it as to offer. With France a no-go zone, it's northwards to which to set the sights on the sites.
    ...and in a few short weeks, you will be made very welcome.

Beware of Skye. It's been a victim of its own success and can get very busy. Best book accomodation in advance.
    Same with Oban. The traffic gets very congested. Leave plenty of time to catch a ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern jock View Post
    And don't forget about the islands, great variety..
    Very quickly becoming my favourite is exploring the islands. Mull for me is magnificent but an nightmare in summer with all single track roads, but others like Harris/Lewis etc are just ace to toddle round.

Too many assholes...........not enough missiles
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    Very quickly becoming my favourite is exploring the islands. Mull for me is magnificent but an nightmare in summer with all single track roads, but others like Harris/Lewis etc are just ace to toddle round.

I'll give you a bell nearer time if I may

Got a month off again so keen to do something decent...……..

Quote Originally Posted by S92GS View Post
    I'll give you a bell nearer time if I may

Got a month off again so keen to do something decent...……..
    No worries chief, my only concern once full travel again is granted it how busy these places are going to be, ferries are likely to get booked up quickly but full travel isn't on until at least July.

Can I recommend the Simmer Dim rally held in Shetland at the end of June.
    As well as an excellent rally, it's over a few days so plenty of opportunity to explore the Shetland islands.
    Facebook site here...
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/67399420024/
    If you're interested, send an email to simmerdimrally@gmail.com toward the end of the year.
    They send out invites by email Late Jan/early Feb.
    Fill in the form and send it back sharpish as the numbers are limited.
    Lot's of folk travel up by ferry from Aberdeen on the Thursday night and back on the Monday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast