Ferries

The Corran ferry, just turn up, as said.

CalMac inter island ferries I just give them a ring a day or maybe two days before when I know what I'm doing and where I'm going :D

Across to Orkney I use the Pentland ferry from Gills Bay to St Margaret's Hope :thumby:

:beerjug:

That's about it :beerjug:

My experience with the ferries, is that they will always find a space for a few bikes.

You can't, turn up and join the queue.

I went across the Corran Ferry this last New Year on my way to Strontian. There was a helluva tide ripping past, and it struggled to get in :eek:

I was in the VW Camper. I said to the bearded guy taking money for the crossing, you seemed to be struggling to get in just now, at what speed of the tide do you cancel the crossing?

"About seven knots"

"Looks fast to me, what's the tide running at now then?"

"About eight knots"

:eek::eek:

It’s simple. Make your booking and keep this number handy ...

tel:+44-800-066-5000

(You can book on that number too.)

If you need to change the booking, give them a call and they’ll sort it for you.

It’s simple. Make your booking and keep this number handy ...

tel:+44-800-066-5000

(You can book on that number too.)

If you need to change the booking, give them a call and they’ll sort it for you.

If you're going to use CalMac regularly it's worth registering with them and getting your own ID. Quote this and you're straight in, saves mucho time :thumb

Thank you Micky, didn't know that.

A time saver and maybe, just maybe, get a bit of priority ;)

CalMac try to sell their Island Hopping deals, but be careful ... some of the islands included might not be where you want to go. I don't usually return from an island on the same ferry as I used to get there. I make my own route and usually book single crossings :thumb

Back
Top Bottom