Ferries

Wapping

Reaction score
In a thread in the Travel section, someone mentioned that the internal ferries across lochs and out to the islands get very booked up. What’s the story here? Can you just roll-up and roll-on, in a motorhome, car or motorbike? Do you have to pre-book them all? It seems unlikely to me, though I can understand that some of the most popular crossings might well get very busy at the height of the holiday season.

Thank you for any guidance.

Richard

PS I found this: https://www.visitscotland.com/travel/getting-around-scotland/ferry/ which seems to suggest that pre-booking is required but you do not book specific timed slots? Is it correct?

Are you planning an invasion of Scotland?

The ferry from Mallaig to Skye, for example, took only 4 bikes in 2017 and the group I was with had booked them. When we arrived at the port there were loads of bikes waiting to get on. The bikes were loaded down one side of the ferry under the companionway to maximise loading of all the other vehicles.
Ferries to Orkney donkt seem to have any constraints and I think it’s all Down to the vessel in use on the route.

They do get booked up depending on time of year travel, and they only Carry so many bikes. The one to Isle of Skye from Mallaig is quite limited to bike space, we always pre book this so you have a reserved place. You can just turn up of course, but you might be waiting a while if there are no spaces

https://www.calmac.co.uk/article/2982/Skye-Mallaig---Armadale

At present I don’t think any of the island ferries are running , hence info , websites and booking sites not working ,

Thank you, both.

Am I planning a solo invasion? Tempting as it might be to become an Edward for the 21st century, I am just daydreaming over something for the future. I enjoyed my one longish jaunt to Scotland last September, doing nothing more adventurous than trundling around the NC500 in a motorhome. Having been (and survived) - having last been in my late teens on an RD250 and had vowed never to go again - it was a world apart from what I imagined it would be like.

While on the subject of ferries in Scotland, could anyone please enlighten me about the Corran ferry on the A82 near Fort William.
Do you need to book in advance?

Corran, just turn up and join the queue.
(Be careful if a truck driver at the front waves you past to be the new front of the queue....and the 'captain of the ship' sees you. He/she will send you to the back of the queue like a naughty boy.)

While on the subject of ferries in Scotland, could anyone please enlighten me about the Corran ferry on the A82 near Fort William.

Every time I've used it, quite a few, I've just rocked up no issues.

Its v regular.

About 10 quid I recall :okay

I’ve used it once but only because it appeared to be running on that day. No need to book.
Sometimes it’s hard to see any evidence that it’s actually running as you drive by. Nice wee road on tother side but I don’t think there’s a fuel stop until you get to Mallaig iirc.

The Corran ferry, just turn up, as said.

CalMac inter island ferries I just give them a ring a day or maybe two days before when I know what I'm doing and where I'm going :D

Across to Orkney I use the Pentland ferry from Gills Bay to St Margaret's Hope :thumby:

:beerjug:

The Corran ferry, just turn up, as said.

CalMac inter island ferries I just give them a ring a day or maybe two days before when I know what I'm doing and where I'm going :D

Across to Orkney I use the Pentland ferry from Gills Bay to St Margaret's Hope :thumby:

:beerjug:

Corran is only really busy during the Six days Trials, other than that you may have to wait for the second crossing during summer. One tip, not that well published -- If you are in a car following a tanker heading onto the ferry, be it oil or gas, overtake it as soon as you can. If the tanker is full, they will only allow a certain amount of cars on.They will let him on first. Don't ask me how I know ;) Agree with Micky re the Gills bay crossing, by far the best.

Thank you, Micky. It seems that outside of the main tourist season it’s just a matter of calling up a few days in advance on the main crossings. On the smaller ones, I shall just turn up and tip Charon appropriately.

It was me that said you are likely to have to book, why you would think that unlikely seems a bit strange, do you think they are P&O/DFDS size ferries. :blast.

There are a few that you don't need to book, Corran/Glenelg and possibly Lochaline and Bute but try just rocking up at Armadale in the height of summer and see how you go with your 6 metre campervan, you might have to be patient.

They always used to try and squeeze bikes on in odd corners, but I think now they actually have a prescribed number of bike spaces on each boat and won't bend at all.

Corran....rock up and go.

The best ferry in Scotland is the Glenelg ferry...nearly always a sea eagle knocking about. Seasonal though.

Mallaig to Skye(Armadale) a definite booking required, used to just turn up and they'd stick you in some corner. Now dedicated spaces for bikes and tied down,
I found out to my cost a couple of years ago, turned up thinking I had nothing to do but buy a ticket for the ferry in, was fully booked as was the next one. Had to run back round , up the Great Glen and across the bridge, luckily I wasn't in a hurry :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Portavardie to Tarbert ferry I find is like the Corran ferry turn up queue get on and away you go can be a bit choppy though!

if you are coming from Oban towards Ft Will for this ferry, I Take it you are going to the Lighthouse at Ardnamurchan ?, this is only a 5/10 min ferry . You can also go to Ft will and loop round on the Maliag Road dropping off at Lochailort, obviously a bit longer, but you get to ride some of the A830. ...But Im sure you have done that anyway !

I would pre book if you dont have an alternative route planned ;)

Back
Top Bottom