French Alps, three jaunts out suggestions

Wapping

Reaction score
Centred on Chatillon sur Cluses, this ‘3-Tour’ suggestion from Motorrad und Reisen magazine, May-June 2020 edition (available via Readly) looks pretty good.

The advantage of staying in somewhere like Chatillon sur Cluses (yup, I haven’t heard of it either) is that you’d be able to access all three tours.

a35627f70f2e0ffca4cb77a148b300b6.plist

Chatillon sur Clucy is here:

0ecfe2e92bc46d5938a0992eff097f49.png

This is the hotel the author stayed in. Nobody is forced to stay there and a quick look shows that there are lots of alternatives:

2ae2c1e830c113c29d172b52a5df7bef.png

Download the gps friendly routes from the magazine’s website.

Last edited:
The most Eastern route looks like the 7 pass loop around Mont Blanc - a very good day out, although right now it may be tricky as it goes through France, Italy and Switzerland so you might need to spend about 6 weeks quarantining yourself on the way around ;-)

Might try the Western ride out next time I am that way as have done the Mont Blanc one twice in full, and bits of it several other times.

For anybody who can't be arsed to download the GPS routes from a website that is in 'foreign', I have downloaded them.

Go to post 14

Unlike some websites and downloads of routes, these seemed to to load into BaseCamp without me having to fiddle them about. That being said, I haven't checked them. Don't moan if you find yourself up a goat track or looking at the bod's mum's front door.; it's your fault.

Only because I’ve been to Cluses many times....

Hotel recommendations for the eager masses, please. Must be secure and biker friendly, natch.

Actually, don't bother. Just tell them that it is and sit back to imagine the horror and outright panic that will ensue when Fat Bob from Bromsgrove rocks up, only to discover that it does't have even a tin shed to stable his awesome steed in. A night on an alpine village street, he'll not sleep a wink. Not least as he's not even brought a disc lock; no room in the 1000 litres of pannier space, see.

Hotel recommendations for the eager masses, please. Must be secure and biker friendly, natch.

Actually, don't bother. Just tell them that it is and sit back to imagine the horror and outright panic that will ensue when Fat Bob from Bromsgrove rocks up, only to discover that it does't have even a tin shed to stable his awesome steed in. A night on an alpine village street, he'll not sleep a wink.Not least as he's not even brought a disc lock; no room in the 1000 litres of pannier space, see.

Never actually stayed there as tend to use either Morzine or La Clusaz ,which is not the same place :)

Stayed here last year.
Brand new hotel,stunning rooms.Totally insecure bike parking.Perfect.

Had dinner here.

Definitely not biker friendly and you may struggle to find steak et F R I T Z !!!!! :)

Just tell them that it is and sit back to imagine the horror and outright panic that will ensue when Fat Bob from Bromsgrove rocks up, only to discover that it does't have even a tin shed to stable his awesome steed in. A night on an alpine village street, he'll not sleep a wink. Not least as he's not even brought a disc lock; no room in the 1000 litres of pannier space, see.

I can just see all of the Lamp Posts and railings outside Alpine Hotels may get stolen this year without all those British Bikes securing them.

Sadly the Dropbox link is now apparently dead. can someone, maybe wapping, link to the actual tour page as oddly enough Its highly likely I will be staying just a mile from Châtillon-sur-Cluses in 6 weeks time.

I will have a look to see what has happened to it. If I can mend it, I will. Failing that, get the routes from the mag’s website.

No problem. I have no idea what happened to the first one I stored onto Dropbox.

Enjoy your holiday.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom