R1100GS final drive bearing

Back to start.
You have no play at the wheel,
Just a clicking from the drive unit..
Lots of assumptions are being made...perhaps.
You have sent me a pm ,but I think it would be quicker to respond here.
You say oil is dirty,but no metal on drain plug.
If the bearing was worn,there would be metal or silvery oil.
Feel free to pop the oil seal out to check the bearing cage..that’s what I’d do 1st,
But,, you say no metal in the oil?

Back to start.
You have no play at the wheel,
Just a clicking from the drive unit..
Lots of assumptions are being made...perhaps.
You have sent me a pm ,but I think it would be quicker to respond here.
You say oil is dirty,but no metal on drain plug.
If the bearing was worn,there would be metal or silvery oil.
Feel free to pop the oil seal out to check the bearing cage..that’s what I’d do 1st,
But,, you say no metal in the oil?

Hmm..ok thanks yeah I'll probably pop the seal out n have a look.. got one spare ..whats the best way to pop it out ? cheers

Hmm.. probably did tho.. I can be sure.:nenau.it all went back together easy enough with no binding ..

Yes, but if you just bolted it in place without heating up the outer cover and before dropping in the bearing and flange than you've side loaded the bearing from the word go.

Yes, but if you just bolted it in place without heating up the outer cover and before dropping in the bearing and flange than you've side loaded the bearing from the word go.

Hmm....cant remember .. ..anyhoo got the fd bearing,seal,O ring ,and a paralever bearing thru from motorworks this morning..and I'll take note to heat up outer cover ..:thumb2

Hmm....cant remember .. ..anyhoo got the fd bearing,seal,O ring ,and a paralever bearing thru from motorworks this morning..and I'll take note to heat up outer cover ..:thumb2

Heat up bearing. Drop it onto output flange.
Heat up the cover case. Drop the output flange and bearing into cover case.
Bolt cover onto final drive case.

Heat up bearing. Drop it onto output flange.
Heat up the cover case. Drop the output flange and bearing into cover case.
Bolt cover onto final drive case.

I read I need re shim it ..I put a new bearing in @ 52359 miles ..current mileage is 67000 odd miles maybe not heating up the case cover has caused premature wear.. ??

I read I need re shim it ..I put a new bearing in @ 52359 miles ..current mileage is 67000 odd miles maybe not heating up the case cover has caused premature wear.. ??

Even if you reshim the bearing you must heat the case cover, otherwise you’ll be forcing the outer bearing into the case, which causes premature wear and very early failure

Even if you reshim the bearing you must heat the case cover, otherwise you’ll be forcing the outer bearing into the case, which causes premature wear and very early failure

:thumb2 well jus changed the paralver bearings earlier ..right side one wasnt too bad but the left adjustable was a bit crunchy when turned with my finger ..so new bearings in greased up and the splines too n set the uj's in line and the pin re torqued ..:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom