790 adv snatchy sensitive throttle

gebrauchtwagen83

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
a friend of mine has bought a 790 adventure new and he's complaining of a snatchy "over sensitive " throttle that he can't hold on a constant because its on/off. I thought these were ride by wire.
Has anyone else noticed this or is it just his? My 1290 SA wasn't like that

My Adv 990 was the same and the reason I only kept it a year...But that was 2008...Have they still not got it sorted :eek:

To be honest with a quick Google search it doesn't seem to flag it up as a known issue . I too had it with my 990. Was horrendous

Like the other gent. with the 990 adventure, mine was awful from day one & really unpleasant to ride at low speed. Last year I had it re-mapped by these people
https://bsd.uk.com/
To say the bike is now brilliant is an understatement, both the smoothness & fuel consumption are in a different league.
The guys there are incredibly knowledgeable & take great pride in what they do. Cost me around £330, for the custom map & dyno time.

To your friends 790, I know very little about these, however BSD would know if they can do something, or if there is likely to be a fault with the bike.
I personally would give them a call.

My Adv 990 was the same and the reason I only kept it a year...But that was 2008...Have they still not got it sorted :eek:

I don't think anyone has it sorted these days, Euro 5 makes it very difficult to fuel a bike properly, a miracle they run at all! Big twins dislike very low rpm / low throttle more than triples and fours when running piss weak.

Often the rider can make it worse, if they do not understand the purpose of a gearbox and the revs at which the bike works / responds, you are more likely to get away with riding a 4-pot at 30mph in top gear, but a twin cylinder needs a few more revs to smooth out, dunno about the 790, but to do 30 mph on my GS / S10 / KTM 1190 I really needed to be in 3rd gear, (and the GS still surged and popped in protest before I fitted a dongle to add some fuel) the 1290 will run quite well in 4th - but 30 is better.

A remap will almost certainly fix it, but these days you might need to go full Power Commander with O2 Optimisers (Wideband Sensors) and spend a big chunk of money (and put your insurance premium up)

To give an idea of what the manufacturers are up against see theimage below.

It seems to me things were pretty good by Euro-3 and Euro-4 had as good as solved the issue, Euro-5 I think is just because some European Bureaucrats are getting paid a fortune to just keep knocking a bit off every couple of years - and I suspect the extra (environmental) costs of making catalysts and other control systems plus people just revving the tits of their bike as it refuses to run properly below 5,000 rpm actually causes a negative results even before we rip this shit off to fix our bikes.

It is also well known many catalytic converters will never pay back the carbon footprint of manufacturing them during the vehicles lifetime, but this is not really about saving the planet it is purely to hit some targets for city air quality (Ban cars, give free tax to mopeds would solve this) and if that means much more shit in the atmosphere in China where the catalysts are made then so be it.

Rant over!

Attachments

• EU Emmissions.JPG
    EU Emmissions.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 438
a friend of mine has bought a 790 adventure new and he's complaining of a snatchy "over sensitive " throttle that he can't hold on a constant because its on/off. I thought these were ride by wire.
Has anyone else noticed this or is it just his? My 1290 SA wasn't like that

Street mode at slow speed is very snatchy but fine everywhere else. The recommendation here was to put it in Rain Mode for town / slow stuff which I tried and it does make it smoother but not the most responsive.

I spoke to a couple of tuning places let year about a remap but they hadn't done one at that point but would have been happy to experiment on my bike. I chose not to be a guinea pig.

The recommendation here was to put it in Rain Mode for town / slow stuff which I tried and it does make it smoother but not the most responsive.

That sounds a daft workaround. Why can't KTM fuel a bike so that you don't have to castrate it to get a bike to run smoothly throughout?

My 1250 is as smooth as silk.

Can’t say my 790s were snatchy.
Most KTMs are a bit more instant on the power than something like a GS. One of the reasons some people like them .

My wife had a test ride on a 790 and was seriously unhappy with the fuelling but when I mentioned this to the dealer they said tell her to go back and give it some revs next time but If she’s stuck in slow heavy traffic use rain mode.

My wife had a test ride on a 790 and was seriously unhappy with the fuelling but when I mentioned this to the dealer they said tell her to go back and give it some revs next time but If she’s stuck in slow heavy traffic use rain mode.

Yes many fuel injected KTMs suffer this snatch in the transition from a closed throttle. A real PITA and just one of reasons my 3 KTMs are carbed :)

I had a 2010 KTM 690 Enduro which was snatchy as hell, almost impossible to ride on snotty green lanes.

I changed the end can and installed an Akra map using Tune ECU, it completely transformed the bike. However these days I believe the ECU has some kind of encrypotion meaning the dealer has to install any maps you might want on a KTM ????

I have to say my 2018 R1200GS ADV (Euro 4?) is extremely smooth when it comes to throttle response, maybe that’s also due to the boxer engine but it seems to plug through the same snotty mud almost on tickover.

I had a 2010 KTM 690 Enduro which was snatchy as hell, almost impossible to ride on snotty green lanes.

I changed the end can and installed an Akra map using Tune ECU, it completely transformed the bike. However these days I believe the ECU has some kind of encrypotion meaning the dealer has to install any maps you might want on a KTM ????

I have to say my 2018 R1200GS ADV (Euro 4?) is extremely smooth when it comes to throttle response, maybe that’s also due to the boxer engine but it seems to plug through the same snotty mud almost on tickover.

Must say the fuelling on my 701LR is nigh on perfect.Much better than it was on my Svartpilen which shares the donor KTM motor.

Why is the 790 being compared to the 990 and the 690? They are different motorcycles.

I had two late model 990's and the 2013 was much better in this regard,

I have no problems with my 790 Adventure S or my 2014 690 Enduro R. Both are RBW. Street mode is fine on the 790 - not snatchy.

Maybe I'm not as discerning as some.

That sounds a daft workaround. Why can't KTM fuel a bike so that you don't have to castrate it to get a bike to run smoothly throughout?

My 1250 is as smooth as silk.

So is my 1290, and my car, what's your point here?

The problem is the smaller and lighter the bike the worst any snatchy response feels, the GS is much heavier so will mask the symptoms, BMW also tend to have more flywheel weight and a huge car style clutch adding to rotating mass, smooths things out nicely, but means they don't pickup revs as quick, make less power and would bore the fuck out of a KTM rider ;-)

The shift-cam system may also have an effect, it is definite there to help to keep performance reasonable and meet emissions, but I do remember the last of the 1200's was a smidge smoother than the 1290.

For anyone interested in the techy shit...

http://www.rottweilerperformance.co...rategies-to-either-work-with-it-or-around-it/

Why is the 790 being compared to the 990 and the 690? They are different motorcycles.

Because often one supplier of the FI system and software are used across the engine range...plus the same technical challenges (or excuses if they can’t engineer around said problems) are similar* for any engine where they are trying to reduce emissions.

*Apparently large singles are more difficult to work with….apparenty...

Seems to be a common issue with KTMs, my 690 had it, my mate’s 990 Super Duke had it, The RC8 was known for it and it seems the 990 adventure had it. Plus now the 790…..

To add balance (rare on this forum) My KTM 1190 Adventure and my 350EXC had no problems at all…..

So is my 1290, and my car, what's your point here?

Just an observation - you have to put your car and 1290 in to rain mode to make them run smoothly?

Husqvarna seem to manage with a smaller motor.

Because often one supplier of the FI system and software are used across the engine range...plus the same technical challenges (or excuses if they can’t engineer around said problems) are similar* for any engine where they are trying to reduce emissions.

Seems to be a common issue with KTMs, my 690 had it, my mate’s 990 Super Duke had it, The RC8 was known for it and it seems the 990 adventure had it. Plus now the 790…..

To add balance (rare on this forum) My KTM 1190 Adventure and my 350EXC had no problems at all…..

It must be individual perception.
The fuelling on my RC8 was very good .
From memory , the only KTM that had shite fuelling was the original 990Adv.

It’s just about the only KTM I’ve not owned . I tried one when they came out as was going to trade my 950S but it was dreadful so didn’t get one .

They refined it as the motor in the later Super Dukes was much better .

Tim’s right though . You can’t beat carbs. My Super Enduro had the best fuelling of any bike I’ve owned .

It must be individual perception.
The fuelling on my RC8 was very good .
From memory , the only KTM that had shite fuelling was the original 990Adv.

They refined it as the motor in the later Super Dukes was much better .

Maybe your are correct but that said my mate’s Superduke 990 (I think its an 05) was truly dreadful….much clutch slippery in traffic…. Took an exhaust and Power commander / remap to make it tolerable..

Maybe the 990 was bad???

Hang on

I forgot. I had the 990SMT…. That was fine…

Oh I give up ;-)

Maybe your are correct but that said my mate’s Superduke 990 (I think its an 05) was truly dreadful….much clutch slippery in traffic…. Took an exhaust and Power commander / remap to make it tolerable..

Maybe the 990 was bad???

Hang on

I forgot. I had the 990SMT…. That was fine…

Oh I give up ;-)

Think the SMT had a modified throttle cam to smooth the delivery .

To add more balance my last 990 Adventure had a little bit, neither of my 1190 Adventures had it, my 690 doesn't have it and neither does my 790 Adventure.

My bikes are always serviced and I've never even had my 790 in Rain mode.

Could be I'm just lucky.:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom