Shipping a bike to Dublin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A guy in/ near Dublin wants to buy my Goldwing.

Could I take it to the ferry and load on - for the buyer to collect on arrival in Dublin?

Used to be able to do it years ago on the IoM boats.

He'd be happy to meet the costs...

Can't answer your specific question, but Crunch on here bought his XTZ1200 from a dealer (I think in Bolton) who delivered it to Holyhead. Crunch travelled as a foot passenger on the ferry, got off in Holyhead to meet delivery guy and collect the bike, rode it onto the return ferry and rode it home on arrival to Dublin.

He'll be doing similar with an XT660R once the lockdown lifts.

The lockdown here may mean your buyer may not be able to travel to the ferry, let alone get on it.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Who takes responsibility if the bike falls over on the ferry? Get Phil Gunn to collect it at yours and deliver it to purchaser. Much cheaper in the long run. Phil is a member of this forum.

A few years back I bought a bike from a dealer in Birmingham who transported it to the ferry at Cairnryan. I had to travel over as foot passenger from Belfast and collect as I needed to be on the ferry with the bike otherwise I understand that the bike would have been considered as cargo and would need to be palleted and / or on the back of a lorry for it to be loaded.
For me to travel over was all part of the fun of getting a new bike. One thing to be aware of is to ensure you have time to disembark as a foot passenger and then to check in both you and the bike for the return journey on the same ferry otherwise you could be waiting a few hours. They can be strict about check-in closing times. When i did it I just about made the return ferry but had asked the ferry company upfront about doing it. I think there's more time between ferries ex Holyhead than there was ex Cairnryanso that may help. Speak to the ferry company at Holyhead.

He can't come over for it and get the ferry back because he'd then have to self isolate for 14 days.

I guess I'd have to do the same if I sailed with the bike.

My thoughts were to ride it to the ferry and come home.

When the ferry arrived in Dublin, he could walk on and ride it off.

Or am I spouting bollocks ?

I'm not sure you can just ride a bike (or any vehicle) onto a ferry, jump off and leave it on the ferry and you go home, nor at the destintation port can someone else can walk onto the ferry and ride said vehicle off.

..e.g. who takes it onto the ferry? If you, then you will have essentially checked in and gone 'shipside'.
Same at Dublin port who takes it off the ferry? How do they get 'shipside'?

If the ferry company put it on the ferry then its cargo or goods and I imagine needs associated clearance paperwork etc?
Remember also that the bike is being moved between different countries albeit still within the EU

It could be as simple as you suggest and you may not be spouting bollocks but I fear not. You or he should call the ferry company and ask if that is feasible however the ferry company may be caught up with red tape on such stuff.

Let us know how it works out. :beerjug:

Did it years ago to the IoM but he rang the ferry company and, apparently, they laughed at him.

So guess it's a no...

Really not sure - or security.

I'd have ridden it on and left it onboard.

On arrival, he'd have walked on and picked it up and ridden off.

Through security etc..

Anyway they have said no..

The reason I ask is I had a guy come from Tipperary in the south travel over to NE Scotland and I picked him up at the train station back to mine and he rode it back home, is it not possible for the buyer to do so also ? may not have the inclination certainly.

Did the same with Pat on this forum who bought a bike off me.

It seems to be the 14 day self isolation bit on arriving back home.

It certainly was....

:thumb

Anyway, the guy has transferred the funds so just waiting to hear about collection.

Don't seem to be able to find a Phil Gunn.

Passed Ted's Trucking on to him.

Thanks

Cheers for the comments.

He wants to wait till he can collect it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom