Seat query - comfy or not?

Ask your dealer if they have any different seats you can try or buy a s/hand one and have it altered.

Wunderlich no good then?

For me no. Touratech a bit better. Just ordered a airmax cushion to try that. Not sure why I am having issues with this bike after having no issues on other beemers I ride. Unless my backside has suddenly changed.

Consider fitting cool covers. i fitted Chinese copies. They are cooler and provide a tad more cushioning.

I can't see how a cool cover would make me more comfortable ? But I could be wrong.Airmax cushion has arrived and tried that just sat on bike and felt ok. Just to try it on a ride out.

Ive never had any standard GS seats that Ive liked, Ive tried them all bar wunderlich and Saddleman, had Sergeant, Touratech, Corbin, BMW exclusive and even air hawk and was starting to think its just me! But I have found Seat concepts to be the best for me so far, I had one on my 701 husky and loved it so put one on the GS and its the best so far and its the best looking. As for the cool covers you can get that let air through, they work way better than i thought they would, mine are just eBay copies but, but they are to slick for off road riding so only on for long tours. The combination of a seat concepts seat with a cool cover in my rucksack for when its really hot and for long road rides is the best combination I've found so far.

Ive never had any standard GS seats that Ive liked, Ive tried them all bar wunderlich and Saddleman, had Sergeant, Touratech, Corbin, BMW exclusive and even air hawk and was starting to think its just me! But I have found Seat concepts to be the best for me so far, I had one on my 701 husky and loved it so put one on the GS and its the best so far and its the best looking. As for the cool covers you can get that let air through, they work way better than i thought they would, mine are just eBay copies but, but they are to slick for off road riding so only on for long tours. The combination of a seat concepts seat with a cool cover in my rucksack for when its really hot and for long road rides is the best combination I've found so far.

Maybe third time lucky if I try another seat. I will take a look at seat concepts cheers

I have the Rallye seat on my 1250GS. I never get a comfortable ride on standard seats so always get them altered. Generally it is raising the front to stop the plums sliding into the tank. I like the seat level and had the Rallye reshaped, slightly widened but the best addition was the integral air pad.

People fit air hawks but tend to have too much air in them. All you need is a slight amount to give cushioning. My seat is superb as you can adjust it whilst riding. Press the button whilst sat on it and it deflates. Take your weight off and press and it inflates. Great amount of adjustment and not even noticeable to most.

Attachments

• 9AF4ADFD-0F8D-4577-A66E-73EFF1F4AC7F.jpg
    9AF4ADFD-0F8D-4577-A66E-73EFF1F4AC7F.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 393
Tried the airmax cushion today.Taken a bit of messing about getting the air right but so far so good :thumb2 About time though

My longest day was 800 miles. Foo Leonberg. to Hull via Calais on a. Standard seat.

Doc. If. You’re. Going to try an airhawk, go the whole hog and try the airhawk saddles

That's a long haul in one trip. We have relatives in Rutesheim but generally stop overnight half way. Prefer North Sea Ferries which is handy but comes at a cost.

My longest day was 800 miles. Foo Leonberg. to Hull via Calais on a. Standard seat.

Doc. If. You’re. Going to try an airhawk, go the whole hog and try the airhawk saddles

Cheers I will take a look as the cushion definitely works.

So having tried the numerous variations on the OE seat position, I concluded that the seat needed replacing.
This irritated me given that I’ve never ever had to do that with any bike I’ve ever owned over the last 30 years. This includes a GSXR1000 K4 that I’d rode regularly down to MALAGA and back via France & The Pyrenees from the UK.
The replacement Wunderlich seat arrived last week and I’ve ridden the bike to and from work this week (including a 300 miles round trip) and the difference is sooooo noticeable and miles more comfortable. An expensive but IMHO worthwhile modification. I’m sure other seats would work as well but ultimately I just preferred the look of the wunderlich seat and lucky for me it’s done the trick. I’m now not having to consider more frequent stops on my ride down to MALAGA and back.

Would rather spend the money on a seat then £800 on an akro that makes little or no difference (says me who has a full akro system)

So having tried the numerous variations on the OE seat position, I concluded that the seat needed replacing.
This irritated me given that I’ve never ever had to do that with any bike I’ve ever owned over the last 30 years. This includes a GSXR1000 K4 that I’d rode regularly down to MALAGA and back via France & The Pyrenees from the UK.

It's called getting old, join the club. I rode my R6 to Cartagena and back for a trackday, now if I tried my wrists would snap after 10 minutes.
Adventure bikes put all your weight down through your bum so that is the bit that suffers most. I am fortunate the the low seat fits me well enough.
A good option is to buy a s/h std seat and get it reupholstered.

It's called getting old, join the club. I rode my R6 to Cartagena and back for a trackday, now if I tried my wrists would snap after 10 minutes.
Adventure bikes put all your weight down through your bum so that is the bit that suffers most. I am fortunate the the low seat fits me well enough.
A good option is to buy a s/h std seat and get it reupholstered.

Sadly, you have a good point. Cartagena is a great circuit and the driest in Europe. I’ve done them all in Spain including Ascari. I found Cartagena tricky to the point that I destroyed a Gixer750K5 on the right hander after the long back straight. To make matters worse it was still in road plastics as the track stuff hadn’t arrived in time :-(
I’ve hussled a GS around Calafat (near Taragona) in the wet and held my own until the circuit dried up :)

I got some of those offset rubber grommets that are used to lower the front, and used them to raise it, made all the difference.

Also use some motorcycle padded pants https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/ergonomics/moto-skiveez-adventure-pants/ which helps on those all day rides.

(Trying not to smirk at putting a link to “adventure pants” and saying ‘all day ride’ in the same post)

Update This is the cheapest place for these - Under £60 and they currently have an extra 10% off offer but you do have to pay for P&P

I am still struggling to get comfy on my 1250. On my second seat,fitted up and back bar risers, also sheepskin cover. I ride various gs's and do big miles sometimes and dont have a problem. The soreness I get is the top of my back legs /bottom of my backside. I am thinking of trying one of those air cushions..Not sure if I can change seat position like Nutty says as mine is the low frame but I will take a look.

GSA or GS? I found the 1250 GSA seat wider at the front, hence the pressure on the back of the thighs. Narrower on the GS and no pressure under the thighs.

The last 2 GSs that I bought new, I ordered the 'comfort' seat option, which added only £40 or so to the price, despite the seat costing about £300 (?) if bought separately. It's a no brainer!

+1 on the comfort seat option, for £45 well worth it when placing the order for the bike, it's a no brainer for that money

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom