Seat query - comfy or not?

DS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone think the standard seat is uncomfortable after 3/4 hours riding? If so, what re my best alternatives please? I’d rather not adjust the seat height as that’s perfect tbh. Thoughts, views and options welcomed.

Personally I like the standard seat, But on long hauls I always use the "Alaskan Buttpad" sheep skin seat cover. All day long easy....

I never had an issue with the seats on my GS’s. Have you tried raising the front and lowering the rear, as that worked for me?

If like me you have, let's say a wide posterior/pelvis, the edges of the standard seat could put uncomfortable pressure on the bony prominences of your buttocks. I have found that seats which are wider than standard towards the rear tend to support these areas of your bum. Is the seat is slightly dish shaped, it could support with uniform pressure across the buttocks.
Some seats like the Sergent have a cut out for the coccyx which prevents it being jarred over bumps.
The Corbin is rock hard for many and Airhawk do a seat using their built in air cushion which I found great when I borrowed one for a weekend trip. it is difficult to try before you buy, often long distance to determine if the seat is long term comfortable. Buying on this site at a good price will enable you to try several if required and not lose too much money if you have to change it. Often, getting one built specifically for you can work out more cost effective from someone like Tony Archer. He is happy to adjust a seat he supplied if it is not quite right for you.

https://tonyarcher.co.uk/services/bike-seats/

Seats,

Feckin minefield

If i recall on the hexheads it was std with a high low position, and a low with no adjustment

The LC excels ;)

Low, std & high each with a high low position

Low std & high Comfort versions each with a high low position

Then we get an aftermarket Ultra low with a high low position

My seat was suposed a low seat, but it felt like a low comfort seat, (comfy but not right for me and the bike)

I am still struggling to get comfy on my 1250. On my second seat,fitted up and back bar risers, also sheepskin cover. I ride various gs's and do big miles sometimes and dont have a problem. The soreness I get is the top of my back legs /bottom of my backside. I am thinking of trying one of those air cushions..Not sure if I can change seat position like Nutty says as mine is the low frame but I will take a look.

I got some of those offset rubber grommets that are used to lower the front, and used them to raise it, made all the difference.

Also use some motorcycle padded pants https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/ergonomics/moto-skiveez-adventure-pants/ which helps on those all day rides.

(Trying not to smirk at putting a link to “adventure pants” and saying ‘all day ride’ in the same post)

I am still struggling to get comfy on my 1250. On my second seat,fitted up and back bar risers, also sheepskin cover. I ride various gs's and do big miles sometimes and dont have a problem. The soreness I get is the top of my back legs /bottom of my backside. I am thinking of trying one of those air cushions..Not sure if I can change seat position like Nutty says as mine is the low frame but I will take a look.

You can seat change position with low frame/chassis 1250 GSA, not sure on GS I imagine that will be same also. You can have front rider seat back up or down same with front adjustment. BMW say bike is low frame or chassis but my understanding is frame is exactly the same on all GS/GSA models but suspension parts are what make bike lower.

Thanks Wobble,stmgsa

For information
Tony Archer only works from home now.He has given up his unit.He has done a couple of seats for me in the past and is top notch.

Cool cover seat cover , acts like a sprung layer , all day comfort and keeps you cool and stops your arse from getting hot thus sticking to you gear and seat etc . I have a Sargent seat , but it sits on the shelf now and I feel the cover does more and is better , plus the Sargent is a bit wide which is the trade off you get against the standard seat so with the cover all is as stock and better for moving around the bike , not sat in it like a tractor seat .
To add you are on a low seat which is not a comfortable as a standard as it has less padding and is sculpted down so the cover should help to relieve some of the issues . I did one have an altered seat TA but for me it was worst , and did not address the problems only masked it to create others for example the rub spots from where the insert and the foam meet , it caused pressure pains , the cool cover does not as it is uniform and a cushion of springs. .
This is my experience only , others will disagree but hope it helps . You can get the expensive Cool cover ( I have ) or the eBay copy versions cheap , you take your choice

Try using some chamois cream on your arse. Seriously! I bought some for using when riding my mtb (see other thread), and tried it the other day. It works. Or maybe try padded cycling shorts under your trousers.

Try using some chamois cream on your arse. Seriously! I bought some for using when riding my mtb (see other thread), and tried it the other day. It works. Or maybe try padded cycling shorts under your trousers.

Cheers pal,I am willing to give anything a go.

Doesn’t work , makes it worse on a motorbike .
Non of the cycling shite on here it’s a mans site😂

Doesn’t work , makes it worse on a motorbike .
Non of the cycling shite on here it’s a mans site��

The cream, or the shorts? I found the cream quite good the other day.

I never had an issue with the seats on my GS’s. Have you tried raising the front and lowering the rear, as that worked for me?

That also worked for me after a friend suggested it on a trip to the Alps. Made all day riding really comfortable. I haven't tried it yet on my new GSA as being a bit taller seat wise I need it on the lower setting.

Does anyone think the standard seat is uncomfortable after 3/4 hours riding? If so, what re my best alternatives please? I’d rather not adjust the seat height as that’s perfect tbh. Thoughts, views and options welcomed.

Are you riding a church pew or summat; we need details;:D

Am sorry that some are suffering with the seat.

I find that standard one to be great and have done 8 hour days on mine.

Back
Top Bottom