May be not buy a 750 gs but go for a 700???

Jako999

Reaction score
Hi all I have posted a few times on the 750 forum but I’ve been looking around and that’s thrown a question in my head. I’ve demoed a 750 sport and apart from being to big and to heavy I loved it. Used around £8000 new £10,400.
Then I started looking around a used 700 with around 8000 miles is between £5200 to £6000 now I know I don’t get all the toys but do I need them abs is really all I would like.
My ride outs are usually 120 to 200 miles one up road only fun. I want a bike that’s smooth and comfortable and easy to ride the 750 ticks the boxes.
The height of the 750 intimidates me being short and fairly skinny but I would get used to it. The money doesn’t really come into it but at the same time would I feel less scared to ride it when if I drop it it’s only it’s only 5.5k not 10.5k.
Can the suspension and the seat be lowered like on the 750?
I want to keep the bike for a few years so I want to make the correct choice.
If you had the choice which one would you go for. Any advice would be gratefully welcomed.

Thanks

I had a factory low 750GS and didn’t get on with it. In my eyes it’s not so much the night but rather that the seat is aligned with the tank and to wide. The 750GS is also very top heavy.

Cut a long story short I’m now on a lowered 650GS and much, much happier.

If you can take both the 750 and 700 for another long test ride and see how you feel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an F650GS. Its an absolute delight to ride. The only time it is "lacking" is (1) trying to keep up with bigger bikes and (2) when 2-up overtaking. Other than that I love riding it, it's such a nice ride, and less intimidating than a 1200GS. For general dodging about the lanes of the Lakes and the Yorkshire Dales it's lovely :)

I had a F650GS lowered using Wilbers by the lads at Revs Racing ( right by you) . Did 30k miles on that loved it. Only chopped it in for a 700gs Rallye because it looked smart.

Standover height is effected by the shape of a seat , some seats that are “ flatter” push your thighs apart, thus shortening your leg length.

As suggested above try a 750 and a 700 back to back and buy what you like.

Well I tried a 700 today and it was a 60/40 split I liked the bike the seat height was very low����I could actually put my feet down flat which gave me a load more confidence, I know it had a low seat but I’m not sure if the suspension was lowered as well after looking a loads of pics they all look about the same. I like the black and red if I go for one but I think the 750 was quicker and more nimble but definitely felt heavy compared even though there’s not much in it.
Trying a 750 low seat next week.
There doesn’t that much between the bikes on paper apart several grand, both are nice bikes, smooth and comfortable.
Thanks

Personally speaking I find the 750/850 to be appreciably better bikes in almost every way. I don’t get the top heavy complaints - they do feel a bit heavy but no more so than the 700/800. The engine has more go, the clutch is much lighter and finding neutral when warm is not a tap dance, the clocks are massively improved (I hated the 700/800 tiny speedo with too many divisions), the vibes are there but of a much nicer character and the average seat height is actually lower as the tank is no longer under the seat. The 750/850 seats are also flatter and with a better profile (although far from perfect). Last but not least the rims are tubeless on the 850. That said there is quite a price difference, but no more than you’d expect between a discontinued, older model and a newer one. There are quite a few around with delivery miles at well below retail at the moment so if you do like the 750, make the dealer a cheeky offer - you never know. If you’re on a tight budget and want a BMW then the F700GS or even a late 650GS is worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom