Performance Line Bearings - eBike motors

stonehenge

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As he only lives down the road, I went to Fordingbridge to see Peter of Performance Line Bearings. He is an expert on Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano, Brose etc motors. I wanted to know if my 2016 Bosch CX motor was ok. He give it a clean bill of health.

What was interesting is that he rates the pre 2020 motor very highly. Derived from an electric power steering motor, the internals are robust and will usually last 30-40k miles before a rebuild is necessary and then another 30-40k miles again. Unless you get water ingress. There are simple tests for this motor and some internal bearings are so substantial, they will never fail. They can also handle being de-restricted very well and will not harm the motor in any way. A full CX rebuild with all new gears and bearings by him is around £250.

The new 2020 motor is small in comparison and he describes it like being a Fishing Reel inside, totally different and more "fiddly" to work on. He has not seen any failures so far so can't say if the motor will be as reliable as the older unit or not - early days yet.

Anyway, this chap is to e-bike motors, that Mikeyboy is to final drives - a self taught expert in his field. He has a load of Youtube videos on the CX motors and others and is highly recommended if you have a problem.

That’s good to hear seeing as I have a 2018 Bosch motor in my bike! :thumb2
Ta

Back
Top Bottom