Brembo brake pads

Winjar

Reaction score
Good to check if you have original Brembo brake pads, some are braking to pieces on bikes.

See my post in the Calipers leaking Thread ( that got closed for going off topic) I posted a link to a video showing some of the detail. There is recall pending but not sure if bmw are included yet.

Originals on mine afaik, unless the previous owner went through a set in 6k miles, now on 24k and in fine fettle with no bits breaking off.

Originals on mine afaik, unless the previous owner went through a set in 6k miles, now on 24k and in fine fettle with no bits breaking off.

Possible maybe only the very fast and powerful bikes having problem, but I suppose most do look at pads sometimes.

OK... Can somebody tell me whats going on here??

I recently bought some Brembo rear brake pads for my R1200GSA.

They arrived with the same profile as the old ones, however, the pad design is different (that being said, my old pads are very low and may have worn the markers off), the colour is different, and the pad material is different.

Are these new pads actually Brembo, or a knockoff?

Attachments

• 20200529_152043.jpg
    20200529_152043.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 413
  • 20200529_152058.jpg
    20200529_152058.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 428
  • 20200529_152118.jpg
    20200529_152118.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 366

They arrived with the same profile as the old ones, however, the pad design is different (that being said, my old pads are very low and may have worn the markers off), the colour is different, and the pad material is different.

Lack of wear-indications on the old pads is most likely due to wear.

As the pads seem to be delivered by MotorWorks, I think that if they were knockoff, MW would say so.

Since the pad material is different, I think that is the reason why the pads look different. Different colors to different materials make sense.

Lack of wear-indications on the old pads is most likely due to wear.

As the pads seem to be delivered by MotorWorks, I think that if they were knockoff, MW would say so.

Since the pad material is different, I think that is the reason why the pads look different. Different colors to different materials make sense.

Ok great. Don't think I've ever had BLUE pads before

Genuine but not oem fitment , according to BMW parts list the LC models should be fitted with Sintered pads (part nos 34218562163)

I think the recall that Brembo are doing is for original fitment, not aftermarket replacements.

Genuine but not oem fitment , according to BMW parts list the LC models should be fitted with Sintered pads (part nos 34218562163)

Does anyone know what the difference is between Sintered and Carbon Ceramic?

Looks like you should read this page by brembo
https://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/brembo-guide-to-the-right-pad

".....
THE ROAD​
On the other hand, for those who ride bikes, but only on the road, there are four pad variations: three are sintered, whereas the CC is organic. This latter variation is used by owners of more "docile" bikes, generally with engine displacement smaller than 400 cc: since they don't have to rein in a ton of horsepower and torque, they don't need great braking power. The friction coefficient is the lowest of the four. On the other hand, the CC is perfect for those who want softer and modular braking.​"

Does anyone know what the difference is between Sintered and Carbon Ceramic?

To make a long story short.
They differ in friction to the disk. Racing type pads (Sintered) offer the best friction, as in more aggressiv braking, vs the more docile type at the other end of the scale.

To those that do not know, the word Sintered as such refers to the technical term Sintered. So, Sintered pads may be soft (short life span = high friction) or hard (Less friction = longer life span).

The trade off to better friction is a shorter life for the rotors. So, then it is up to decide for the personal needs for the rider.

To make a long story short.
They differ in friction to the disk. Racing type pads (Sintered) offer the best friction, as in more aggressiv braking, vs the more docile type at the other end of the scale.

To those that do not know, the word Sintered as such refers to the technical term Sintered. So, Sintered pads may be soft (short life span = high friction) or hard (Less friction = longer life span).

The trade off to better friction is a shorter life for the rotors. So, then it is up to decide for the personal needs for the rider.

So basically I've just fitted scooter brakes to my weaponised steed of awesomeness.

Well I'm out tomorrow so we'll see how I get on with them. I only use the rear brake for slow speed stability, so maybe they'll provide a better lifespan??

Ceramic Composite brake pads are formed using high-strength ceramic fibers and non-ferrous metal filaments bonded at extreme pressures and temperatures. Ductile metal-filaments produce a friction material with moderate base coefficient of friction for good initial "bite", while heat resistant ceramic fibers and polymeric binders reduce thermal pad decomposition and out-gassing, which contribute to high temperature brake "fade." They are also quiet, and deliver strong braking performance over a wide range of conditions. Ceramic Composite material provides good stopping power when both cold, and hot after miles of riding. The non-ferrous metal filament matrix provides high thermal mass and thermal conductivity to quickly carry heat away from the pad-rotor interface for fast thermal recovery. Lower operating temperatures reduce rotor wear and risk of deformation or warping. However, they are not available for all models of motorcycles.
http://www.moto.brembo.com/en/results/bmw/r-1200-gs-tripple-black/1200/2013/pads/front
Possibly post 11 has miss read the CC as a compound not a description , I may be wrong but looking at the link it may suggest so.
The Carbon seen to indicate a fast road usage with all round premium feel and good wear , sure you can cope Warlord :D:D:beerjug: Hope this helps you .

Only question, I wonder if something happen, then insurance do not pay because not sintered as OEM say.

Don’t seem able to select R1250 on the Brembo selector, does that mean they don’t make replacement pads for either the Hayes or BMW rear calipers?

triumph have just issued a recall about brake pads delaminating or breaking away from backplate

The Carbon seen to indicate a fast road usage with all round premium feel and good wear , sure you can cope Warlord :D:D:beerjug: Hope this helps you .

Well, did 250 miles today and once they bedded in, they were great, no problems at all.

If they wear better.... total BONUS

Well, did 250 miles today and once they bedded in, they were great, no problems at all.

If they wear better.... total BONUS

I hope not across the border ... glad your happy , may try a set myself as on set no 4 now , 10k .
Need to ride smoother .................

I hope not across the border ... glad your happy , may try a set myself as on set no 4 now , 10k .
Need to ride smoother .................

No, not into Wales.

Started at Bassetts Pole, Uttoxeter, Stone, Shrewsbury, Craven Arms, Wigmore, Leominster, Ludlow, Kidderminster, Bromsgrove, Alcester, Stratford, Knowle, Kenilworth, Stoneleigh, back to Bassetts Pole.

250 miles round trip :thumb2

Think we covered a lot of counties

- Staffordshire
- Shropshire
- Herefordshire
- Worcestershire
- Warwickshire
- West Midlands

Back
Top Bottom