Stonehenge A303

ymfb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not sure if this is to stop idiots parking along the A303 as the country reopens or a early preparation for the summer solstice.

#getthetunneldone

Attachments

• FEADD2B1-EB21-4DB8-8CDC-314136AA2829.jpg
    FEADD2B1-EB21-4DB8-8CDC-314136AA2829.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 379
All English Heritage sites are still closed AFAIK so the car park will be shut; I imagine there have been issues with people pulling up and parking on the main road as a consequence.

Andres

Jeez the last thing the A303 needs is people pulling in and out of parking spaces. I am surprised it wasn't already in force.

This needs some "teeth". Round me the National Trust closed their car parks with signage and even chains (chains because the selfish ones just ignored the signs), so the retard dog walkers just parked all over the road outside the car park instead. The "it's closed for a reason" did not deter the muppets...

In prep for the tree huggers more than likley

Boris missed a trick, he should have gone for total lockdown until end june, That would have learned them ;)

Fuck that anyway, i saw "Children of the stones" as a kid i know what happens :eek: "Happy day everybody"

All the byways that intersect around the stones are closed as well. Not sure if thats just standard TRO or related to the virus?

The short section between Longbarrow roundabout and the dual carriageway heading towards London is blighted by cars stopping, going slowly all to see/photograph/video the stones. There was a fatal accident in 2015 when a taxi stopped at the byway.

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/...r-byway-after-fatal-accident-near-stonehenge/

The quick answer is to build a fence next to the carriageway whilst they start the tunnel, maybe the TRF could help by getting behind the scheme to protect their rights in the long run.

Thought they had binned tunnel idea, too expensive and a nightmare with possible historical artefacts being dug up everyday.

Al.

Thought they had binned tunnel idea, too expensive and a nightmare with possible historical artefacts being dug up everyday.

Al.

No, I’m fairly sure it’s a done deal, only delayed by Covid 19.

Ok, didn’t realise it was still on, seems crazy to me as there are open fields( and pigs)next to the road past the stones, must be easier and cheaper to build a new carriageway next to existing road and build a bank to screen the stones with the earth from the excavations for the new road, or am I missing something?

Al.

Stonehenge wasn't built in the isolation that we now see, it was part of a much larger complex and a bank would certainly block some off the ancient avenues; a tunnel, while more expensive would allow the preservation of those sight lines.

I'm so happy that I did the Stonehenge, West Kennet Long Barrow and the Avenue in 1969.

One could actually go and see things then.

Can’t they just build something over them, so they’re enclosed, and make it into a museum?

There are many things that could be done, a few have and made it worse for nearby villages. The biggest problem is volume of traffic as the majority of vehicles heading SW use it. Dualling it will improve the lives of many people, reduce pollution and save lives. A tunnel will improve the view around the Stones immeasurably.

Other than the expense, which can be considered an investment there is only one real downside and that is the next bottleneck will be further down the road.

Knock 'em down, they've served their purpose.

Look to the future, stop living in the past grandad....

They could divert the dual carriageway from the countess roundabout North to the pack horse way past Lark hill camp north of the Stonehenge car park and rejoin the A303 at the roundabout at the western end of the single carriage way.

Back
Top Bottom