Things to look out for 2016 Ms S

gebrauchtwagen83

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been offered a very good deal from a ducati dealer on a 2016 Ms S . Its done 11k miles and has full dealer service history and would be serviced again now. 12 month ducati warranty included.

I'm a bit nervous about the reliability reputation given I've not owned one before, is there anything I should look out for?
Also how does the servicing work? If its serviced now would the next one due be the dreaded desmo at 18k and is that gonna sting me for over a grand? Also when do belts need changing or is that just the desmo? This is about as far as I've got with my Google research but can't really get to the bottom of it.

I’ll be following this thread closely, because I have an itch for a 1200 Multistrada with the DVT motor and I really would appreciate the honest views of owners past and present.

My advice for anyone thinking of buying a MultiStrada is to fit a radiator guard if it hasn’t already got one.

Don’t ask me how I know. :(

My advice for anyone thinking of buying a MultiStrada is to fit a radiator guard if it hasn’t already got one.

Don’t ask me how I know. :(

Why would you not fit one? :blast :D

They don’t come as standard. Not on mine anyway.

My all terrain conquering mega machine was stopped in its tracks by a flying pebble or something about a mile from my house. :(

Attachments

• 592FD967-7884-45EC-AEAA-66A4A1CC2AD0.jpg
    592FD967-7884-45EC-AEAA-66A4A1CC2AD0.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 408
A new one would have been £900 plus but luckily I managed to find a small repair place near Braintree and they fixed it for £50.

Attachments

• C7289DD0-2EE1-4D75-8313-562BF6F5EB83.jpg
    C7289DD0-2EE1-4D75-8313-562BF6F5EB83.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 348
Obviously I also now have protection. :)

I’m lucky the damage wasn’t worse. I think the radiator is particularly vulnerable on the Multi so the moral of this sorry story is protection at all costs!

Attachments

• 8B034C17-1D51-451B-A80F-E071D8A99BCE.jpg
    8B034C17-1D51-451B-A80F-E071D8A99BCE.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 354
The Multistrada is without doubt a great bike. Absolute blast to ride, sounds fantastic, gorgeous looks but all this comes at a price. Whether Ducati’s are more unreliable than other bikes is the obvious elephant in the room here and factS don’t play a part in it, it’s perception. And as we know Dan you are a sensitive soul when it comes to bikes:D. There is nothing wrong with your RT, it was a glitch that will probably never repeat itself. You are being seduced by a younger, sexier, Italian Temptress and I’m telling you now it will end in tears;)

Obviously I also now have protection. :)

I’m lucky the damage wasn’t worse. I think the radiator is particularly vulnerable on the Multi so the moral of this sorry story is protection at all costs!

I think any bike with a great big rad sat at the front and directly behind the wheel is very vulnerable
The KTMs are the same as was my XR but I put rad guards on all of them.

My mate never bothers and has never had a rad problem but its only a matter of time and I will laugh when it does.

As to reliability they are not like the Ducati of old and now post Audi involvement they are pretty good the new ones have a 4 year warranty which shows a level of confidence in the product IMO

There are some quite old Ducati still running beautifully and then there are the dogs with electrical problems that were never right

As to servicing I have found them no worse than BMW at the dealers price wise but there are some very good indie places that will probably be better than Dealers and way cheaper. The desmo service is the big one with the belts etc but it isn't actually such a massive job on a multi.

Some Ducatis had to be almost stripped to do it which of course equates to time and cost but not so on the multi

9K servicing as opposed to BMW 6K so service costs may actually be cheaper over time

Buy it for a good price and you will love it

The Multi is indeed a great bike with a stonking engine and more character than your average GS for example. As Rick said they are Audi owned now and all the better for it.

Buy with confidence and enjoy. :thumb2

The Multistrada is without doubt a great bike. Absolute blast to ride, sounds fantastic, gorgeous looks but all this comes at a price. Whether Ducati’s are more unreliable than other bikes is the obvious elephant in the room here and factS don’t play a part in it, it’s perception. And as we know Dan you are a sensitive soul when it comes to bikes:D. There is nothing wrong with your RT, it was a glitch that will probably never repeat itself. You are being seduced by a younger, sexier, Italian Temptress and I’m telling you now it will end in tears;)

But I love pizza steve so it seems like such a natural relationship

I’ve put over 750 miles on mine in a week (well, 3 days to be precise :D), and can confirm that the Multi is an awesome bike.

Don’t overthink it, just buy one. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom