Things to look out for 2016 Ms S

I ran a 2016 DVT for about 18 months from new , over about 16k miles I had 2 issues.
Warped disks and an issue with ignition module after some over enthusiastic jet washing.
The 1200S DVT is a really nice bike to ride , it has different geometry than the 1260 that is noticeable on twisty roads ( not that the 1260 is bad , the 1200 is just better).
Skyhook works really well , and besides the chocolate nuts and bolts the components are of a decent quality.
Biggest thing I noticed as a difference to the 1190 ADV I had before , is that its a more refined experience , its just better in every way.
They aren't cheap to run , its true but the overall experience is worth the extra IMHO.
Ducati Manchester offers a different level of service to Williams Manchester for me as well.

I ran a 2016 DVT for about 18 months from new , over about 16k miles I had 2 issues.
Warped disks and an issue with ignition module after some over enthusiastic jet washing.
The 1200S DVT is a really nice bike to ride , it has different geometry than the 1260 that is noticeable on twisty roads ( not that the 1260 is bad , the 1200 is just better).
Skyhook works really well , and besides the chocolate nuts and bolts the components are of a decent quality.
Biggest thing I noticed as a difference to the 1190 ADV I had before , is that its a more refined experience , its just better in every way.
They aren't cheap to run , its true but the overall experience is worth the extra IMHO.
Ducati Manchester offers a different level of service to Williams Manchester for me as well.

Interesting comment about the sterring geometry

I had forgotten about that

On the 1260 i believe the wheel base is a bit longer and trail is slightly differnt as Ducati wanted to give the bike a bit more high speed stability which was one of the things that some complained about on the 1200

So yes i guess the 1260 does steer a little ( i wouldnt notice) slower than the 1200

I bottled it, just couldn't seem to get a ride on one. Went for an XR . Thanks chaps

XR is a really nice bike too , happy new bike

its a fortnightly occurrence for me at the minute, can't seem to settle on one and all the approved used bmws I've had seem to have niggles . This one feels nice so touch wood.

I bottled it, just couldn't seem to get a ride on one. Went for an XR . Thanks chaps

You muppet! :p You should have at least ridden the Multi. :blast

If all your previous BMW's had niggles, that could be a sign that it's time to change to another make, surely. :nenau

If all your previous BMW's had niggles, that could be a sign that it's time to change to another make, surely. :nenau

Yeh it was!! I'm kicking myself a bit to be honest. Might book a ride :blast

Just because Ducati is the Nutty Brand of The Year.
Next year there’ll be another.......though probably the Multi V4 will be the bike to beat.....

So....
Had a new 1260 ms S today for the morning. Had a ride of it in town, motorway and some back roads and I must say I felt disappointed in every area.
I rode to the dealer 45 mins on my XR so felt able to give it a good comparison but came away feeling relieved to have got the XR
The first thing I noticed was how lumpy it was on the way out of town, was having to feather the clutch all the way up to 30mph really just to try and keep it smooth.
I got out of town and was looking forward to taking it into the higher rev range where these bikes have their reputation but again didn’t like it at all. Under harsh acceleration the bike was so vibey I could barely read the TFT. Weather protection was worse than my XR .
The quick shifter was nice but the handling didn’t feel either as agile nor as stable as my XR. It took a bit more muscling and didn’t seem to hold the line quite as well
The finish felt a bit “plasticky” and I came away feeling really underwhelmed.
Made the right decision, was a lovely ride home on the XR :friday

So....
Had a new 1260 ms S today for the morning. Had a ride of it in town, motorway and some back roads and I must say I felt disappointed in every area.
I rode to the dealer 45 mins on my XR so felt able to give it a good comparison but came away feeling relieved to have got the XR
The first thing I noticed was how lumpy it was on the way out of town, was having to feather the clutch all the way up to 30mph really just to try and keep it smooth.
I got out of town and was looking forward to taking it into the higher rev range where these bikes have their reputation but again didn’t like it at all. Under harsh acceleration the bike was so vibey I could barely read the TFT. Weather protection was worse than my XR .
The quick shifter was nice but the handling didn’t feel either as agile nor as stable as my XR. It took a bit more muscling and didn’t seem to hold the line quite as well
The finish felt a bit “plasticky” and I came away feeling really underwhelmed.
Made the right decision, was a lovely ride home on the XR :friday

What setting was it in? The bike is so customisable, if it was left in Sport with everything set up for fast riding, it will be a bit lumpy. I’ve fine tuned the engine map/ suspension etc in Urban on mine to nice and plush, and configured Sport to give the best of everything when pressing on. It sounds like the dealer didn’t set the bike up properly for you, which is a shame.

What setting was it in? The bike is so customisable, if it was left in Sport with everything set up for fast riding, it will be a bit lumpy. I’ve fine tuned the engine map/ suspension etc in Urban on mine to nice and plush, and configured Sport to give the best of everything when pressing on. It sounds like the dealer didn’t set the bike up properly for you, which is a shame.

Why does a dealer need to set up the bike for a rider ? Surely Ducati should do that before it leaves the factory ?
How do you fine tune the engine map to remove the lumpiness ?

It could be that Nutty, I tried it in sport and touring but admittedly didn’t know you could customise further within those settings.

It could be that Nutty, I tried it in sport and touring but admittedly didn’t know you could customise further within those settings.

The ability to fully customise the bike in each setting was one of the major selling points for me. Having several suspension/ traction/ engine mapping/ anti wheelie options per riding mode is a great feature to have.

If the last rider left it in sport with everything at the extreme end of the spectrum, it won’t be the best around town tbh.

Yep The ability to customise the anti wheelie is great

Set at default in touring and set in sport so that it lets it get to a height im comfy with and lets it stay there or thereabouts

I must admit it didn’t tickle my balls (apart from the vibes) out of town either. I just preferred the XR in every way except the TFT. Glad I rode it and didn’t just buy it but no regrets

Back
Top Bottom