Bike too loud? No go areas in Austria

Am I right in thinking that some police forces/councils also have cameras which measure the noice a vehicle makes?

I’d be interested to know what the legality of that is? I mean, speeding is an easy one for cameras, as you either are..or yoU aren’t. How is the noise measured, exactly? Engine revs, distance/angle of recording device from exhaust outlet. Extraneous noise from other sources? How can that become a “provable” offence?

I’d be interested to know what the legality of that is? I mean, speeding is an easy one for cameras, as you either are..or yoU aren’t. How is the noise measured, exactly? Engine revs, distance/angle of recording device from exhaust outlet. Extraneous noise from other sources? How can that become a “provable” offence?

Seen local police in Pingau region with bikes stopped using a noise meter to test exhaust noise so I would assume they class this as proof .

To be honest will not make much difference this summer, Austria announced opening up tourism from 16th June to most european countries BUT the UK is NOT on the list and we will be subject to a 14 day quarantine if we go there.

I was stopped and fined for a noisy exhaust in Austria. I can confirm they conduct it in a statistic test. You produce your V5 which shows the official dB level. If you are in excess of this you are issued (at least you are if you are a Brit) with a notice that you results will be presented to the local ‘authority’ who will decide whether or not to issue you with a fine. My fine landed on the mat about a six weeks after returning home.

I was stopped and fined for a noisy exhaust in Austria. I can confirm they conduct it in a statistic test. You produce your V5 which shows the official dB level. If you are in excess of this you are issued (at least you are if you are a Brit) with a notice that you results will be presented to the local ‘authority’ who will decide whether or not to issue you with a fine. My fine landed on the mat about a six weeks after returning home.

Which bike was this on, and did you have the standard exhaust, biker mate?

Checked my V5 yesterday for my Africa Twin, expecting to be comfortably below the limit - not so! And I wouldn't class the AT to be a loud bike as stock.
d400d511e20437362ece7eda26415360.jpg

I am good to go then, all of those bits blank on all of my bikes !!!!! V5's

Which bike was this on, and did you have the standard exhaust, biker mate?

My old F800R (an excellent bike) with an aftermarket exhaust and yup, they take it up to the number of rev’s shown on the V5, in order to take their measurements.

It was a noisy bike, I’ll give them that, especially at around the upper end of it’s rev limit, where you had to keep it.

My old F800R (an excellent bike) with an aftermarket exhaust and yup, they take it up to the number of rev’s shown on the V5, in order to take their measurements.

It was a noisy bike, I’ll give them that, especially at around the upper end of it’s rev limit, where you had to keep it.

I believe I followed the F800R to Turckheim! Didn't seem that loud to me...

It might also be stamped on your VIN plate, too.

I guess it due to being 2003 a 2000 and a 2007 but none of them have anything for db on log book or vin plate, two of them Austrian 1 Bavarian

Checked my V5 yesterday for my Africa Twin, expecting to be comfortably below the limit - not so! And I wouldn't class the AT to be a loud bike as stock.
d400d511e20437362ece7eda26415360.jpg

What year is your bike 996 ? After reading this i pulled my V5 out of curiosity; it's 2018 SX 1000; and there's nothing down; i take it yours is a later model.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200612-222533.jpg
    Screenshot_20200612-222533.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 227
What year is your bike 996 ? After reading this i pulled my V5 out of curiosity; it's 2018 SX 1000; and there's nothing down; i take it yours is a later model.
It's a 2018 model on a 19 plate. I'd have thought the details on v5 were mandatory and part of type approval etc.

It's a 2018 model on a 19 plate. I'd have thought the details on v5 were mandatory and part of type approval etc.

Bit odd that; with yours being 2018 also but registered on a 19 plate; the V5 might be issued at registration or summat like that; it's the only thing i can think of.:beerjug:

You can buy a vignette on top of your other vignette to allow you to make some noise. How does that help the locals?
99€ for 3 days or 295€ for 10 days.
Screenshot-20200620-105730-Samsung-Internet.jpg

That is all in foreign. For all I know it’s instructions for burying a body at sea. A translation might well be handy.

That is all in foreign. For all I know it’s instructions for burying a body at sea. A translation might well be handy.
Try learning another language. It may come in handy sometime.
Translation has alreay been given.
However, it might be cheaper to put the original silencer (yes, many bikes come with them) back on the bike.
The Austrians have it right, the only problem is the fines are not heavy enough for those who have fitted "noisiers" (- the oppostite of silencers) to their bikes and exceed the decibel limit.

Translation has alreay been given.

I’m no German speaker but I’d take fair guess that the spiel said a bit more than:

You can buy a vignette on top of your other vignette to allow you to make some noise. How does that help the locals?
99€ for 3 days or 295€ for 10 days.

For example, I’d take a stab at saying that the article tells bods where to buy the stickers from, just for starters.

Back
Top Bottom