How often do you change your helmet?

geezer2005

Reaction score
Was wondering the above, if it has never been dropped, or done its job in an off?

If I remember right 5 years was a guideline?

That's roughly the timetable I work to.

If it's been in an off and definitely or suspected to have made contact (usually evident anyway). Then it's in the bin and start again.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Is it 5 years of use or 5 years from date of manufacture?
If from DOM then buying an outgoing model (ie Neotec 1) would be a false economy

Shoei for example Warrant helmets for 5 years from purchase / 7 years from manufacture. Presumably to allow for limited shelf time pre purchase,

Do Shoei/Arai/etc not send you an email when their business plan needs a cashflow boost?

Shoei for example Warrant helmets for 5 years from purchase / 7 years from manufacture. Presumably to allow for limited shelf time pre purchase,
The foam inside will breakdown with age. So date of manufacture will have a bearing. Obviously type of usage and storage will also have big influence. But the shell of the helmet will and should last well. So with a modern 'premium' helmet, you can feasibly there the entire interior at some point. I've pretty much dinner this with my Neotec 1, which now has a fully new interior and looks almost new.

Personally I change mine when it’s starts to fit badly or has a problem, I wear mine nearly everyday and they last about four years. My wife on the other hand wears her helmet probably no more than 50 days a year, her 2014 C3 Pro whilst immaculate is starting to become uncomfortable and is in danger of getting changed.

The foam inside will breakdown with age. So date of manufacture will have a bearing. Obviously type of usage and storage will also have big influence. But the shell of the helmet will and should last well. So with a modern 'premium' helmet, you can feasibly there the entire interior at some point. I've pretty much dinner this with my Neotec 1, which now has a fully new interior and looks almost new.

Urban myth, probably spread by the manufacturers.... plenty of scientific (proper) articles demonstrating that the foam/EPS doesn’t degrade or lose its crash properties with age...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Urban myth, probably spread by the manufacturers.... plenty of scientific (proper) articles demonstrating that the foam/EPS doesn’t degrade or lose its crash properties with age...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm talking about the lining 'foam'. The polystyrene will probably last forever... But the lining does offer some of the 'fit' and probably as a consequence offers a closer fitting, which is of course preferable, assuming it's not too old of course

The 'foam' lining definitely definitely definitely degrades. I have helmets kicking around to prove it - from both Shoei and Ara

I'm talking about the lining 'foam'. The polystyrene will probably last forever... But the lining does offer some of the 'fit' and probably as a consequence offers a closer fitting, which is of course preferable, assuming it's not too old of course

The 'foam' lining definitely definitely definitely degrades. I have helmets kicking around to prove it - from both Shoei and Ara

The lining does compress over time but can be replaced as in many helmets.

Arai guarantee their helmets 5 years from date of retail sale - unless you put solvents onto the EPS it won’t degrade - it lasts forever in cavity wall insulation :)

Things to bear in mind.
Don't store the helmet with your gloves inside, it compresses the foam.
Store in a dark place, preferably in its bag (if you have one).

tom

Back
Top Bottom