Hagon rear shock refurb -Uprated spring?

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm sending my rear shock off for a refurb. Not sure what to do. When chatting with the chap in hagon he was saying that my shock is a 140. I was explaining that i'd like more comfort. I'm 17.5 / 18 stone depending on what gear i'm wearing and that's before any luggage. I don't carry pillion. He was suggesting a 160 might be better for me.

The price to change the spring is only about 50 pounds so that is not really a consideration.

What do you guys think? Have you any experience with a higher rated spring? Will it offer me more suspension travel? With a bit more plushness?

I really don't know what to do. There is a chance that the spring will be too hard and the ride will not be plush. My current shock is pretty bad and i'm taking up a lot of the sag just by sitting on it and the preload is set nearly to max. anything i get done will be an improvment.

Thanks for any tips.

If anyone want to offer me an ohlins or wilbers go for it.

otherwise, i'm going for the uprate spring on my very shit shock.

i do think shock quality is in terms of longevity rather than quality.

i'm going for the 160

Thanks to the members who gave me advice to me

Owen, I have a YSS from my first 07 GSA.

You are more than welcome to try it. If you like it, we can have a chat...... If you don't, no harm done.

I had it specced to my 19 stones at the time.

from my G8 ThinQ

Nice one horse.

My shock is en route to essex via registered post. Think I'll go for the uprated spring.

I'd buy a swanky ohlins or wilbers if I had the cash but I'll use this hagon for the moment. Thanks for the offer though. I'm not sure how a man your height can be 19 stone though. you must have concrete for bones.

Nice one horse.

My shock is en route to essex via registered post. Think I'll go for the uprated spring.

I'd buy a swanky ohlins or wilbers if I had the cash but I'll use this hagon for the moment. Thanks for the offer though. I'm not sure how a man your height can be 19 stone though. you must have concrete for bones.

The funny thing is.......... 19st was my weight when I had that shock built.

"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat"........springs to mind now!!!

I think it's all the iron deposits in my liver from decades of Guinness abuse.

from my G8 ThinQ

Well I got my shock back today. I have fitted it and I am very happy. I got the uprated spring and it makes a massive difference. It is so much plusher and more comfortable than before. I actually have suspension travel! I need to tidy up the settings a little bit but I'm very glad I went ahead and got it done.

Sorry Keith, no need for your shock now!

Tomorrow, I'm going to Wicklow to ride my favourite local roads. Hope the weather keeps nice.

Back
Top Bottom