Just aquired an R1200r sport

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As a bit of a means to an end, I traded my California 1400 touring 2013 for a 66plate 2017 model R1200r sport.(the one with the blue frame) What an absolute cracking bike. I thought the California may take a long time to sell and was really restricted to when I could use it, so when a dealer offered me a straight swap for the 1200r I gladly accepted, as at least I can use it.
It's not to long ago that I sold a 2016 gs as it really didn't do anything for me. Much to my delight the 1200r really is a cracking bike and much more rewarding to ride than the gs, especially as they've now got rid of the very numb tele lever front damping system.
Only ridden it for a few hours, but up-to now I'm liking it.

As a bit of a means to an end, I traded my California 1400 touring 2013 for a 66plate 2017 model R1200r sport.(the one with the blue frame) What an absolute cracking bike. I thought the California may take a long time to sell and was really restricted to when I could use it, so when a dealer offered me a straight swap for the 1200r I gladly accepted, as at least I can use it.
It's not to long ago that I sold a 2016 gs as it really didn't do anything for me. Much to my delight the 1200r really is a cracking bike and much more rewarding to ride than the gs, especially as they've now got rid of the very numb tele lever front damping system.
Only ridden it for a few hours, but up-to now I'm liking it.

:postpics

They are great bikes, I’m sure you will enjoy it. You might enjoy it even more if you purchased the farkles that I have just removed from my bike before it’s exchanged this Thursday.
Feel free to pm me for details if you have an inquisitive mind and some leftover cash. ��

I thought the telelever was the be all and end all? I read it on here, so it must be true.

Congratulations on the new bike.

I posted about getting mine in February.

Plenty of good quality s/h farkles to be found.

List of second hand add ons since getting the bike:

Puig screen.
Givi hand guards.
Wunderlich bar risers and tall comfort seat.
Denali D4 lights; B6 tail/stop light and sound bomb horn all working through CanSmart.
Heed crash bars.
Remus end can.
MV lowered foot pegs.
Avant Guard and Mudsling.
Nav V.

Attachments

• 3293928C-38F3-45B4-8A15-5F462E1D2952.jpeg
    3293928C-38F3-45B4-8A15-5F462E1D2952.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 512
  • F82F2083-2121-4F68-BA27-757E22AFC1D3.jpeg
    F82F2083-2121-4F68-BA27-757E22AFC1D3.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 486
Hi TBolt, bikes looking good, I've acquired a few bits and bobs from this site, screen, avant guard, hand guards. Although I'd listed the 1200r as one of the bikes I'd do a deal on when selling my California, it wasn't really in the front runners. I had a 2016 Triple Black for a short time last year and it didn't really do anything for me.
But what a revelation the 1200r is, it's a stonking little bike. Much more engaging than the GS, handles much nicer, most probably due to them going back to a proper front suspension set up, I was never a great fan of the telelever set up.
I did get a fantastic deal on the bike and my intention was to put it straight up for sale, as I thought it may be a lot easier to sell than a California. But, having ridden it for a while I've decided to keep it. Well, until some gorgeous Guzzi comes along anyway.

Hi TBolt, bikes looking good, I've acquired a few bits and bobs from this site, screen, avant guard, hand guards. Although I'd listed the 1200r as one of the bikes I'd do a deal on when selling my California, it wasn't really in the front runners. I had a 2016 Triple Black for a short time last year and it didn't really do anything for me.
But what a revelation the 1200r is, it's a stonking little bike. Much more engaging than the GS, handles much nicer, most probably due to them going back to a proper front suspension set up, I was never a great fan of the telelever set up.
I did get a fantastic deal on the bike and my intention was to put it straight up for sale, as I thought it may be a lot easier to sell than a California. But, having ridden it for a while I've decided to keep it. Well, until some gorgeous Guzzi comes along anyway.

You must be Andy's best customer:thumby:

Ever thought of going Orange?

I was looking for something easier to get in and out of the garage as I get older that will do everything my GS does.

Last August I bought an Africa Twin with only 1k miles through a friend at a great price. However, it did not become my first choice in bikes as I had just bought a R80G/S and continued to upgrade my GS.

I had been test riding bikes before buying the AT and nearly put my money on an R9t.

In the new year I realised that if I go to only one bike the AT would not be it. I decided to trade it in for a new R1250R but then saw this 2018 with only 600 miles for just over half the price of a new bike and sold the AT privately.

Loving the 1200R and sorted the comfort with the bar risers and lowered foot pegs. Still working out what will be my choice for user mode. :thumby:

My R1200R LC Sport

Here's my beauty, few mods, had the front mudguard, rad covers, and side fairings under passenger seat painted white. R&G Rad cover, Puig screen & hugger, Leo Vince end can to mentionbut a few.

Attachments

• R1200R LC Sport With Mods.jpg
    R1200R LC Sport With Mods.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 382
Here's my beauty, few mods, had the front mudguard, rad covers, and side fairings under passenger seat painted white. R&G Rad cover, Puig screen & hugger, Leo Vince end can to mentionbut a few.
Nice bike! You'll enjoy that

Something I noticed whilst out the other day. The down shift on the quickshifter works much better whilst hard on the brakes.
I've never noticed it before and thought it was just a fluke, so I kept on putting it into practice. i's definitely much smoother when hard-ish on the brakes. Is there a mechanical reason for this, or is it just inertia?

Totally agree, its the same, i.e. smoother changing up after 2nd gear when the revs are higher and throttle help open.

I tend not to use it much on the upshift, it's not bad if accelerating hard,but I still find it needs a fairly robust prod. On the other hand just the lightest nudge of the clutch makes for a super slick change, something I haven't experienced on a BMW since my last 1100s.

Back
Top Bottom