Testing riding a 1290 Super Adv next week.

Jeremy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After several GSA’s, it might be time for a change. I’m testing riding the 1290 Super Adv at In Moto next Wednesday. Are there any owners who’d care to share their thoughts on the bike, dealers, reliability, running costs vs a GS/GSA?

Cheers,

Jeremy

I have had 3 ktm from premier, very happy with dealing with them.

In 30k on ktm I have had no problems, so rate reliabiity as good.

Lost less in 3 years on my 1190 than my buddy list in 18 months on a gs rally, so happy with depreciation, although without my discount I would of lost about the same as him - but after twice as long.

Servicing probably a bit less if you do lots of miles as intervals 9k, but if doing under 6k a year probably not that much in it, but my ktm dealer is much less per hour than BMW dealer.

Stock seats are shit so haggle a deal with ergo ones and don't panic if your arse hurts after 5 mins on demo bike.

I've got a 2015 SA-T, and came from a 07 1200 GSA12, so hardly comparable.

However, the KTM:
> Has been wholly reliable & fun to ride. The engine is really very good, coupled with decent WP semi active suspension it can basically be ridden as a super sports tourer

> Is well equipped - The S will have a TFT screen which I find well laid out & easy to read, and make sure the quick shifter is activated

> Servicing as mentioned is every 9k miles (big service is @ 18k, 36k etc which includes valve clearances). My minor service cost circa £200 inc labour & vat; Major service cost circa £580 inc labour & vat

> Don't know your insurance position, but mine costs £170 per annum fully comp via Bennetts

> Dealers - I see you're in London, so you have 3 main dealers in reasonable distance (Premier Bikes, Jim Aims & The KTM Centre). I've used Premier & Jim Aims & would recommend them both; never used The KTM Centre so can't comment

I did add a few bits to mine as the T vs the S didn't have LED head lights, quick shifter.

2 items I always add if the bike doesn't have them are a radiator guard & sump bash plate...I bought Evotech versions and they're superb.

Enjoy the test ride...I'm sure you'll enjoy it :thumb

Get an ERGO seat.....errr that’s all

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's very useful. It will be interesting to compare it to the 1250GSA I'm riding at Bahnstormer tomorrow.

2018 SAS, only one issue so far being warped discs which happened after some spirited riding at the TT. Other than that faultless. Can get a bit vibey at higher revs. Definately get comfort seat as standard is a plank!! Coming off a GSA screen is not as good with a fair bit of buffeting which was easily fixed with a MRA clip on Xscreen. Generally feels about 50kg lighter than a GSA too.

No
Dont

The ergo seat was the most uncomfortable thing i have ever had on a bike
After 100 miles my arse felt like it had a full night in with the Holy Spirit

Not just me then? Thank god for that, I thought I was weird as I found it really uncomfortable and sold it almost straight away, yet everybody goes on about how comfy they are?

I find the standard bench seat (R) absolutely fine; although I have replaced it with a Seat Concepts one but only for looks, it feels no different to me.

Andres

No
Dont

The ergo seat was the most uncomfortable thing i have ever had on a bike
After 100 miles my arse felt like it had a full night in with the Holy Spirit

Ergo seat too high for me.
Sourced a spare seat off EBay and had it reworked by the legend that is Tony Archer!
Cracking job!

Ergo seats work for the majority of people and that not expensive.

Last GS was a 2014 1200GSA - would not go back having had the 1190 and now the 1290 SAS.

No problems with either my 1190 or my 1290 other than a blocked fuel cap vent on the 1190.

Finish better than BMW.

Thanks again.

Has anyone heard any feedback about In Moto in Croydon?

Thanks again.

Has anyone heard any feedback about In Moto in Croydon?

I know a few people who won’t touch them with a barge pole, including my brother in law who was after a Moto Guzzi from them and ended up going to Chichester instead. Most people I know who after something red and Italian went to ProTwins instead. Not sure where to go to for something orange around this part of London...

I had the heated ergo seats on both my bikes, and was really pleased with them.

Thanks for the feedback but I'm going to pass. I put my hand up that I haven't ridden the bike as the test ride scheduled for today was cancelled by the dealer. I then drove to KTM Croydon and sat on the bike but it's not for me.

So I drove to the KTM Centre in Hemel Hempstead and spent an hour on the 1290SA. It was bloody epic. Great weather protection sitting on the M25, huge character and grin factor with the 160bhp motor on country roads and £12,500! I think I might be turning orange.

PS the recommendation for the Ergo seat was spot on.

So I drove to the KTM Centre in Hemel Hempstead and spent an hour on the 1290SA. It was bloody epic. Great weather protection sitting on the M25, huge character and grin factor with the 160bhp motor on country roads and £12,500! I think I might be turning orange.

PS the recommendation for the Ergo seat was spot on.

That's more like it! I have one since March, limited opportunities to enjoy it but it makes me smile A LOT and I am not known for smiling!

Any options advice? I raided the catalogue and the following appeal:
Travel pack (inc q/shifter) £611
Aux lamps £436
Crash bars £253
Ergo seats £148 + £130
GPS + Touratech phone bracket £165
Radiator protection £69
Skid plate £244
Heated grips £174
Spoked wheel set £874
Total £3948 discounted to £3800 fitted

Any options advice? I raided the catalogue and the following appeal:
Travel pack (inc q/shifter) £611
Aux lamps £436
Crash bars £253
Ergo seats £148 + £130
GPS + Touratech phone bracket £165
Radiator protection £69
Skid plate £244
Heated grips £174
Spoked wheel set £874
Total £3948 discounted to £3800 fitted

All except the spoke wheels ;)

Heated grips, Ergo Seats is all I think is "needed", I went overboard and put on some crash bars, nav mount and a rad guard as well, plus the QS which I like.

Back
Top Bottom