E-Bikes – Taking the spot from Scooters?

Roberto

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK, so I do confess to not following a great deal on the e-bike scene. Something drew my eye though, yesterday I was out in the car and there was a guy on a e-mtb, toddling along, basically doing 30mph – and it didn’t look like he was putting in much effort at all. Can that be so? The thing had big fat tyres, quite a hefty frame on it and basically what looked like a motorbike light on the front, some funky LED thing.
If you can pretty much cruise at those speeds won’t it be a matter of time before these are considered electric motorcycles?

Today I saw another one, but different, picking up to do a deliveroo run.

It would seem the very small capacity scooter is going to be dead pretty soon?

In a bit of a flashback I’m vaguely reminded of the mopeds with pedals my great uncle used to have.

Hey ho..

You can't cruise at this speed legally, the limit is 15.5mph, above which you're on your own power.

Whilst it is true that the legal limit is 15 or so, it turns out that you can buy de-restrictor kits for some of these bikes. If I had an ebike, I'm sure 15 would be quick enough for me.

I saw one bloke on an mtb and he was going uphill barely turning the pedal so I think he's got an illegal rear motor kit?

I also saw one bloke come past me like I was standing still, then have to stamp his foot on the floor and lift the back end to stop himself flying through the red light into the traffic. It looked like an old bike so maybe he cobbled it together rather badly...

The two big differences are that you don't need any kind of licence for an e-bike, but you have to put in some effort.

Ta.

Aha. So clearly that fella had it 'souped up' then.

I'm kind of hoping they're the exception around town... it was freaky.

I also saw one bloke come past me like I was standing still, then have to stamp his foot on the floor and lift the back end to stop himself flying through the red light into the traffic. It looked like an old bike so maybe he cobbled it together rather badly...

:D :D

15 is enough. When I got mine, I wanted more power (natch:D), but on reflection 15 is enough. I can pedal it up to 40mph if I want to go fast.

15 is enough. When I got mine, I wanted more power (natch:D), but on reflection 15 is enough. I can pedal it up to 40mph if I want to go fast.

15 MPH? Are you losing your touch? Have you got tartan zip up cycling slippers? :D

Nah, I get ya :thumb

Interesting this guy lobbying for an increase to 20mph. https://cyclingindustry.news/50-cyc...f-were-taking-pollution-and-health-seriously/

Plus there's a bit of EU bashing about regulations and third party insurance. I should think that might not be far away - another revenue stream for the government which they'll need..

What a load of old bollocks. Ebikes are no faster than any other bike, they just have pedal assist. I think these morons that dream this crap up seem to think you just press a button and it does it all for you. :rolleyes:

Which bit? The lobbying for the increase, or the insurance bit, or both?

Most small scoot riders couldn't afford an Ebike so no they won't take over.

Most small scoot riders couldn't afford an Ebike so no they won't take over.

Expensive for sure, but it is interesting that the deliveroo/uber eats crowd are taking to them around here. Saw another one this morning now I'm paying more attention.
No insurance, which even for a small scoot I can't imagine being peanuts in town.

I think the insurance one will be interesting especially as these things become more mainstream. And if they're being used more for business.

My e-bike came with 2 months free insurance. Looking at the insurance company site says it's approx £150 per annum. High theft risk with bikes generally. Insurance is more than my R80 😤

My German e-bike is designated a "speed" version and is limited to about 28mph (actually 45kph). It came with lots of bits of paper saying not legal for UK roads etc, and also a little licence plate mount (which soon came off!!). It has great LED front and rear lights powered off the main battery, and also a proper brake light connected to front and rear brake levers.

If stopped by plod I'll just claim I bought it second hand and wasn't aware it broke any limits. Very unlikely though as I keep to the rules when cycling.

For the hills, silly. :D

Fair enough, but a good carbon framed 7.5kg road bike is less than half the weight of your e-bike so if your legs are good for 40mph on the flat I’d have thought you could get up the odd hill or two? I guess being able to do something isn’t the same as liking or wanting to do it.

Fair enough, but a good carbon framed 7.5kg road bike is less than half the weight of your e-bike so if your legs are good for 40mph on the flat I’d have thought you could get up the odd hill or two? I guess being able to do something isn’t the same as liking or wanting to do it.

I can pedal it up any hill under my own steam, but don’t always want to. ;)

Back
Top Bottom