New 1100GS owner, removing fuel tank question

Freeman1100GS

Reaction score
I have to change my battery and the manual says to remove the fuel tank and to do so I need to clamp off the fuel lines to depressurize the fuel system. My fuel lines appear to have a quick release fitting installed in both lines. Those don't appear in the picture in the manual. It's either they come installed or someone installed them afterwards.

My question is, do I need to clamps off the fuel lines to depressurize the fuel system and disconnect the quick release fittings?

One them? Then just press metal bit and split apart
da8c3c1e1f022917c9c5292c28e3e5df.jpg

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

I have to change my battery and the manual says to remove the fuel tank and to do so I need to clamp off the fuel lines to depressurize the fuel system. My fuel lines appear to have a quick release fitting installed in both lines. Those don't appear in the picture in the manual. It's either they come installed or someone installed them afterwards.

My question is, do I need to clamps off the fuel lines to depressurize the fuel system and disconnect the quick release fittings?

In short ‘no’. If its got the QR fittings you just need to disconnect them as stated above. If it is the plastic ones be careful to tackle them apart and reconnect them in a level plane. If they’re forced together and are not lined up properly they can break the plastic insert. A little dab of grease on the male end can help protect them. It might be worth treating yourself to the metal ones at some point if they’re plastic.

When lifting/removing the tank the throttle cables can be dislodged. If you have trouble starting it or it runs rough afterwards make sure the cables are seated property where they attach to the throttle bodies.

If the fuel line connections are exactly the same as the picture above,i.e. both parts plastic.
There is a updated metal male connection .
Well worth changing yours. The insert male part gets v fragile over time and snaps.
Not a expensive part to buy.

As Hops said make sure that you part the connection dead level.

QR fittings may be very tight to split & put back together. The rubber o rings expand with time & are easily damaged.

Get spares Fuel line quick release connector plug O-ring | FUA59110 (motorworks)

I usually replace the o rings when I split the connector (one per connector)

It's a while since I had an 1100 but I don't recall having to completely remove the tank to acces the battery.. I think I may have loosened it and fiddled the battery out and in???

On the 1150 I just unbolt the tank and prop it up with a bit of wood to remove the battery.

On an 1100, seat off, one bolt off to release the tank and prop it up as said...replaced my battery yesterday, no problem, just wriggle it a bit. Helps to have someone hold the tank.

Back
Top Bottom