Stupid intercom question

Rowle

Reaction score
As i,m new to this game and have been looking at intercoms (as per this sites recommendations) i have a really stupid question;
Can different makes of intercom talk to each other or do you/the Mrs have to have the same such as both sena etc.

Sorry - i needed to ask :nenau:nenau

Hi some do especially the newer ones which ones are you looking at.... but it is better to have two the same

Regards K

Hi,
Was looking at packtalk bold or sena 30/50 as these seem to be “the ones” to go for.
Thanks for any help.

I believe the Sena 30K and prhaps some of the others in the range can talk to other non Sena units,

But i believe its very basic comms at best

Have the Bolds, theoretically able to talk to other brands, in practice, I have never managed it

and for what its worth the Bolds are not a patch on my old Sena 10!

Have the Bolds, theoretically able to talk to other brands, in practice, I have never managed it

and for what its worth the Bolds are not a patch on my old Sena 10!
I beg to differ I have linked my bold to a sena 20s and having prev owned said 20s found it lacking compared to the bold, and if your communicating with someone else with a bold you can't beat the dmc it's miles better than a Bluetooth connection.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

I beg to differ I have linked my bold to a sena 20s and having prev owned said 20s found it lacking compared to the bold, and if your communicating with someone else with a bold you can't beat the dmc it's miles better than a Bluetooth connection.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Ill agree that the DMC is way better than the old BT method but ironic that you use the term 'miles better', I think range is worse than the Sena SMH10s we had before.

I will persevere trying to cross brand boundaries and get the Sena of a mate to join our Bold party..

Any tips welcomed..

If you are planning to talk to a pillion then the issue of the distance the comms will work over is unimportant. SENA have a feature called universal intercom which will allow a SENA set to pair with any other bluetooth unit. It works well but, as others have said, with limited functionality - for example each SENA unit can only pair with one other non SENA set.

That said, I've used my SENA with a cheap Chinese set and been able to talk over pretty good distances but of course, the terrain does impact upon range

My Interphone connects to friends with Scala, Sena and any other intercom.

Packtalk's for our group of 8, some Bolds some 'normal' Packtalks, always auto-pair up in DMC immediately when we meet up. In DMC the mic is always live so people with 'draughty helmets' can sometimes cause a problem on motorways, or as we are all over 55 years old (apart from 1 young un at 30) when pushing the bikes the bikes around at the butty van it can sound like a sex party with all the heavy breathing from the older end ! Properly water proof, good battery life, satnav and phone connect every time upon switching on. Range drops if not in line of sight or say some of the group behind a big truck for instance. With 8 riders we've had almost 2 miles from front to last rider on a motorway. It can get a bit confusing with 8 riders babbling away at times though. There's a new software update been available for last 2 weeks it's version 5.6, release notes say even better seamless DMC, look on U-tube. We are all updating this week so will have to 'reconnect to pack leader' next meet up. All riders with or without the pack leader present with then auto- connect when in range. We wouldn't use anything else.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have always liked the Scala G4 series as good workhorses. As you are dipping your toe into the water, perhaps consider getting a S/H G4 Teamset (a two set pack)- or two individual G4 units. Buying on here should be safe enough. If you want something more sophisticated - you can resell for not much loss, I reckon.

I’ve been using the same set for around 15 holidays over 9yrs - batteries are still strong enough for all day use.

Back
Top Bottom