Idle at 7000RPM!!

Robjamez

Reaction score
Hi all - after standing for two years I have started up my 1150. It was lumpy at first and I thought out of fuel, so put in 10 litres, but still lumpy.
So I drained the tank using a vacuum pump pushed down the right hand side of the tank. As I thought, there was about 200ml of water in the tank. Having removed this and being certain there was only fuel in the tank, I started it up again and it went straight up to 7000RPM.
I have checked the throttle cables are working properly, the throttle flaps are opening and closing correctly. It seems to do it with the TPS connected or disconnected. I’ve flushed the injectors through with clean fuel and now I’m a bit stumped.
Could I have dislodged something when pushing the vacuum tube into the tank to drain it?
Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’ve said you’ve checked your throttle butterfly’s and they’re closing... they can’t be if the bike is revving to 7k, if they were closed they’d not be enough air getting into the engine for it to rev that high

You’ve said you’ve checked your throttle butterfly’s and they’re closing... they can’t be if the bike is revving to 7k, if they were closed they’d not be enough air getting into the engine for it to rev that high

Thanks Steptoe. That’s a good point - I’ll check in the morning without the air tubes connected.
Got an MOT booked for tomorrow afternoon. All was fine until this happened!!
Thanks again.

Thanks mate, sorted!
The starter motor cover was loose and was stopping the left hand throttle closing by about the last 15°. I’d only stuck my fingers in there and felt it moving but getting down on my knees and actually having a look I could see it straight away.
Many thanks for your help.

GS guru ...

... strikes again; he likes chocolate hob-nobs :augie

Back
Top Bottom