35 or 50W HID?

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Being ham fisted I have snapped the existing (dip beam) H1 hid bulb while removing the headlight assembly from my 02 1150GSA. It has been installed for at least 15 yrs of continuous reliable service so, just want to replace bulb and not the whole lot.
Assuming I have the 35W bulb installed, is the 50W any better in forward beam brightness and spread?
Will it run a lot hotter inside the lamp enclosure giving rise to other problems?

Best on market and where from?

Thanks all.
PS; thought about going LED but, with the higher wattage adv. alternator, there is no need.

Patria o Muerte

If you were happy with the 35w I'd just replace the bulb. I fitted 50w units to my wife's car which has a similar projector lens to the GS. We found them to be too much, the deflected light to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic was too bold and concentrated. She didn't like them. Plus as above it would mean replacing the ballast too.

Correct burners will also have the black tip as per a halogen bulb however there are no hid burners legal in the uk for fitment to non-reflector units. (technically none are legal for that either but you'll get the correct cut off, etc due to the internals)

Here is my original hid bulb.
bc2e2554ab3e5325f0482f11058b404c.jpg

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

can you check with les wassell,hid50 on here i think
did high and low beam on my 1150gs and on my micro sd hella's

Back
Top Bottom