Steering damper for tourers.

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Compared to my 1150GSA, my 2010 Ultra Classic turns very easily at the bars (which may be normal) when loaded up.
Has anybody fitted a steering damper to a glide and if so, point me in the direction of where from?

Patria o Muerte

Compared to my 1150GSA, my 2010 Ultra Classic turns very easily at the bars (which may be normal) when loaded up.
Has anybody fitted a steering damper to a glide and if so, point me in the direction of where from?

Patria o Muerte

If you get to the point of getting a tank slapper on a Hardly please let us know

Other than that why would you want a steering damper ? AFAIK Harleys are very stable at the speeds they are capable of

My Glide is very fussy about tyre pressure.... I can feel when it’s a few PSI out....

I run them (Avon’s) high at 42 psi.... it’s rock solid up to 90 - then it’s gets a bit troublesome....

But 80 is solid as a rock... which is fast enough for me on this..

I had incipient tank slappers on an evo glide many times. I could feel it coming on and luckily managed to control it by easing off slowly and not braking. Like Twizzle says I found tyre pressures, and tyres, to be very important. To be fair I had fitted a bigger engine so it was a bit quicker than it should have been for the rest of the bike. I’ve no idea what later bikes are like at 90/100+

At around 90 I get a gentle weave....unsettling but always controlled.... I back off at that point- 85 it settles back down... the batwing being handle bar mounted is obviously a big contributor

The wobble is just character, it’s been making Harleys interesting since forever.

The RKS was devoid of wobble, so I fitted apes and now it’s there....it feels good :okay

I regularly see three indicated figures on Junk.
With gritted teeth,and a grip like a starving child with a chicken on the handlebars, I can spend hours like this, on the ragged edge of the death/ life.
Without adrenalin, we may as well be dead.

Danny.

Back
Top Bottom