Just test rode the new 1100 Africa Twin - fun, fun, fun

Haven't ridden one but I was put off that it had tubed tyres and no cruise control. I believe the new model does not have tubes. Nothing against tubes but not really practical unless you are going around the world or going to take it off road. Heard good things about the DCT and they are quick. One thing to check is the service schedule. I believe one of the major services for the valves is close £1k which is why a lot come up for sale as they approach 18k I believe. Worth checking.

The new bike is serviced at 600m, 8k and 16k. Honda will sell a three service package for £675. Farnham Honda quote £78 inc VAT per hr for the workshop. They quoted c £500 for the 16k service so the package looks good value.

The new bike is serviced at 600m, 8k and 16k. Honda will sell a three service package for £675. Farnham Honda quote £78 inc VAT per hr for the workshop. They quoted c £500 for the 16k service so the package looks good value.

You had a look at that one for sale but it’s not for you ?

I did but I prefer the Adv Sports version. Cracking bike though.

I also went back and rode a GS1250 Rallye today. Comfortable, fast but IMHO it lacks the character of the ATAS.

I’ve been quoted £15,999 OTR vs list £17,349 for the ATAS DCT+ES.

At 5.9% PCP with £5,634 max deposit, the 36 monthly payments are £114 and final payment £7,969 = total £ 17,724. Mileage 18,500 over 3yrs.

No used ATAS about to the old spec? List price was a lot lower on the 2018 model. Just looked, £9-9.5 k for a low miles 18 plate ATAS.

No used ATAS about to the old spec? List price was a lot lower on the 2018 model. Just looked, £9-9.5 k for a low miles 18 plate ATAS.

Agreed .

The price increase is huge . It’s a great deal to pay for a TFT, tubeless,cruise and eleccy suspension .

Get a previous model bike , fit tubeless rims, Hyperpro suspension and a Jaws throttle lock .

Total cost about £2.5 k on top so probably £11.5 k ish in total .

Fair points but having ridden a ‘19 model, the new one feels like a significant step up. Admittedly at a price.

No private farkled ‘18/‘19 private sellers?

As much as it pains me I agree with the chosen one, though no sure about needing to spend a couple oh grand on tubeless rims, I did a do-it-yourself job and worked perfectly well.

At 5.9% PCP with £5,634 max deposit, the 36 monthly payments are £114 and final payment £7,969 = total £ 17,724. Mileage 18,500 over 3yrs.

That's a crazy deposit for a PCP unless you'd plan on buying it at the end of the period. I put £150 deposit on my ATAS and the monthly is pretty much the same as that. At the end if I want to hand it back I won't feel like I've been ripped off, but if I'd put £5k+ down it would be a different matter.

I do think the price hikes for the 1100 couldn't have been timed worse, just as the world headed into a global pandemic and sales of new vehicles practically dry up overnight. It wouldn't surprise me to see heavy discounts in a few months.

though no sure about needing to spend a couple oh grand on tubeless rims, I did a do-it-yourself job and worked perfectly well.

I bought a set of wheels that had been made tubeless by the seller. He claimed they'd never lost air. I've had them about 24 mths now and they have never dropped pressure at all. He obviously did a great job with his 3m tape etc. Cheap as chips and very effective. (Two tyre changes in my ownership haven't affected it at all)

Fair points. The sums are simply me sharing what I’ve been shown. Financing, if needed, is c 3.3% from the banks. FYI The ATAS DCT+ES works out £1,850 cheaper than the GSA AdvTE I’ve just specced. The BMW dealer dropped the price by £500 and the APR from a whopping 9.9% to a still high 7.9%.

One of the Honda dealers I spoke to said they’d sold 50 bikes during the lockdown so they weren’t keen to do deals. The BMW dealer who let me ride the 1250GS Rally yesterday said no deals. They’re swamped.

I agree about bike pricing and the reality of the economic situation. Once furlough stops and companies and consumers adjust, I’d agree that there should be better deals.

I bought a set of wheels that had been made tubeless by the seller. He claimed they'd never lost air. I've had them about 24 mths now and they have never dropped pressure at all. He obviously did a great job with his 3m tape etc. Cheap as chips and very effective. (Two tyre changes in my ownership haven't affected it at all)

It was 3M tape and 3M sealant I used, feck me those things would be placed 1 and 2 in a being sticky competition.

Fair points but having ridden a ‘19 model, the new one feels like a significant step up. Admittedly at a price.

No private farkled ‘18/‘19 private sellers?

There has been at least 1 well farkled ATAS on here at a decent price. The old model was good value, now it's firmly in GS territory. Should keep used prices on older models high though.

Seventeen and a half grand for a motorcycle, the world has gone crazy.

After farkling my 'cheap' Africa Twin, it has cost me easily over £21,000 (dual wheelsets)

My BMW R1200GS Adventure has also cost me over £21,000 (dual wheelsets)

Bikes are NOT cheap, but both are absolutely unique to me and I think they're great.

After farkling my 'cheap' Africa Twin, it has cost me easily over £21,000 (dual wheelsets)

My BMW R1200GS Adventure has also cost me over £21,000 (dual wheelsets)

Bikes are NOT cheap, but both are absolutely unique to me and I think they're great.

Yeah, but you’re a muppet. :D

Back
Top Bottom