Just test rode the new 1100 Africa Twin - fun, fun, fun

£1,000 difference between old and new model, I'd buy the newer version.

It won't be £1k if buying on PCP tho...there's the little matter of 5.9% interest....probably £1500 additional so £2500 difference rather than £1k

I do like to add a few bits and bobs, but certainly wouldn’t spend double the cost of the bike on trinkets.

Suspension, Wheels and Exhausts blow the budget, everything else is just bits and pieces

Suspension, Wheels and Exhausts blow the budget, everything else is just bits and pieces

If the suspension on a brand new bike needs changing, I wouldn’t bother buying it.

After three GSAs, it might be time for a change. I rode the 1250GSA low suspension on Monday, and it felt like putting on an old familiar shoe. Rapid, comfortable and efficient. Today, I rode the manual and DCT versions of the 1100 Africa Twin Afv Sports. It felt like putting on a spiked, ultra lithe, characterful, and most importantly, FUN training shoe. I was blown away by the whole package although at this point I prefer the manual to the DCT. My 5'8 frame fits comfortably onto the Adv Sports seat in the low position. The screen offered considerably more protection and less buffeting that the GSA. The bike's ability to lean into corners and power out was fantastic. The TFT screen and integration is top-notch. It seriously brought a massive smile to my face, and it's top of my list. I test rode the previous model last year, and this new one is a step up in my humble opinion.

Has anyone ridden a bike with the new electronic suspension? Wondering if it is worth it.

KTM 1290 Super Adv test ride tomorrow....

I ride a 1250 GSA, had a go on my brothers ATAS 1100 ES (electronic suspension) the other day. Lovely bike, plenty of go, but not like a 1250 GSA. Really like the Screen with the apple CarPlay, but the thing that really impressed me most, was the handling and ride quality, simply superb. The ride even on it softest setting (even with the ES you can custom setup the suspension, which my brother had done for his liking) was brilliant, very configurable. Much better than the BMW adaptive suspension IMHO.

I own a 2018 ATAS, which was a nice bike, but the 1100 ATAS ES is definitely a step up.

If the suspension on a brand new bike needs changing, I wouldn’t bother buying it.

That’s a bit daft making such a sweeping statement.
I’d rather spend, say £3k making a £10k bike work perfectly for me than splash £18k on a bike festooned with gadgetry that I don’t want or need.

We all have different priorities.

Yep...every bike i have takes a trip to k-tech or ohlins

I think that’s a great colour scheme too....great deal shame it’s not a DCT. I’ve downsized the Guzzi Sport to a CCM Spitfire which was a good move but I do miss having a Guzzi. I’d like to downsize the Crosstourer to a V85tt but I know I’d miss the DCT so it might have to be an AT. I can’t stretch to the new 1100 ATAS DCT though.

I’d rather spend, say £3k making a £10k bike work perfectly for me than splash £18k on a bike festooned with gadgetry that I don’t want or need.

I'll remind you of that next time you get all shouty about the Turban :D

Or spend £3000 on suspension for an £18000 bike festooned with gadgetry and have it all :D

I think that’s a great colour scheme too....great deal shame it’s not a DCT. I’ve downsized the Guzzi Sport to a CCM Spitfire which was a good move but I do miss having a Guzzi. I’d like to downsize the Crosstourer to a V85tt but I know I’d miss the DCT so it might have to be an AT. I can’t stretch to the new 1100 ATAS DCT though.

I thought I'd miss the DCT when I traded mine in but going back to gears is all very natural again, like cumfy slippers.

I test rode a 2018 ATAS DCT today. I came back and put a deposit on a new 2020 DCT+ES spec bike while I ponder. The dealer offered the bike with the centre stand for £15,850 vs a list of £17,800. Yes there is a significant price difference but the 2020 model feels so much more rounded, smoother DCT, suits my 5’8 frame, better weather protection. Just have to decide if the 1290SAS I rode last week is still a contender aside from being the cheapest at £12,500.

Who was the dealer, mate is looking at these, sound like a good price.

Dobles Honda in Coulsdon. Ask for Steve Jupp. They also gave me a voucher for 20% of clothing and a few other bells and whistles. Top notch.

New bike day!
695b41f48c6f1cc29a97f84f491e3e32.jpg

58407157b20e1b611c1015aec6bb1c0c.jpg

54a6be5760b8009b5b8cbec037bccc62.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks fab . Congrats .
Been using my old one these just few days having rescued it from lockdown in Brittany . Forgotten how brilliant they are .

fdb07458183d9eab9f92b0f84097fc22.jpg

I had the AT DCT in 2016 and now the 2018 ATAS DCT.
The DCT is much better on mine than the old bike,and I’m guessing they’ve advanced it a bit more on yours.
The 2016 bike didn’t have the autoblipper on down changes like the newer bikes.

You’ll find your way but I tend to use it in auto and set to Sport II but then stick it in D for any long periods in towns/traffic as it holds on to too low a gear in S II.

Obviously you can stick it in manual and have a play,and that is great fun too when in the mood and you have more control of the autoblipper,which needs a bit of braking in auto mode to trigger it on downshifts.

Obviously if you’re in auto, whether D or S I/II/III, you can still change manually by pressing the +/- buttons,but I’m sure you know that !!

The only time S II isn’t perfect is when you open it up to overtake and it drops to say 4th, then it seems to hold on to 4th a bit too long even when you’ve taken the load off so I just manually change up to 5 and 6th.They may well have tweaked it on the latest toy !!!

Had a sit on a new standard version last night, they seem much narrower at the seat which makes them seem not as tall, absolute shit load of buttons on the left hand switch gear, screen looks ace but again, a shit load of info I'd struggle to use.

This may be the first bike that I have to read the manual for. An early morning ride beckons but Marrakech might be a stretch before lunch.

Back
Top Bottom