Just test rode the new 1100 Africa Twin - fun, fun, fun

Congrats on joining the club, there aren’t that many about yet. So far I’ve fitted barkbusters, bar risers, a side stand big foot from sw motech and a MRA Vario Touring-Screen, which is near enough perfect for me, its got rid of all the buffeting and noise and tbh should have been what honda fitted as OEM.

The manual is 337 pages, but quite a lot of it is repeated. You can use Apple CarPlay without a headset, just connect your phone, when a message comes up to pair headset, click no, then press and hold the back button for upto 7 seconds. Wake and google maps are best on the tft, but google is best for getting the route to go the way you want it, as you can add stops on a road you want to go on.

Lots of buttons, but you dont need most while riding, set it all up before you go and you wont touch most the settings after that and then just use the function buttons on the RHS and LHS switchgear for heated grips, auto lights, fog lights and volume. User mode 1 and 2 are fully customisable for everything, leave the other Rider mode as factory. You can toggle between map on tft and main info page using the top left button on the LHS switchgear, just pull towards you each time.

This may be the first bike that I have to read the manual for. An early morning ride beckons but Marrakech might be a stretch before lunch.

Congrats on joining the club, there aren’t that many about yet. So far I’ve fitted barkbusters, bar risers, a side stand big foot from sw motech and a MRA Vario Touring-Screen, which is near enough perfect for me, its got rid of all the buffeting and noise and tbh should have been what honda fitted as OEM.

The manual is 337 pages, but quite a lot of it is repeated. You can use Apple CarPlay without a headset, just connect your phone, when a message comes up to pair headset, click no, then press and hold the back button for upto 7 seconds. Wake and google maps are best on the tft, but google is best for getting the route to go the way you want it, as you can add stops on a road you want to go on.

Lots of buttons, but you dont need most while riding, set it all up before you go and you wont touch most the settings after that and then just use the function buttons on the RHS and LHS switchgear for heated grips, auto lights, fog lights and volume. User mode 1 and 2 are fully customisable for everything, leave the other Rider mode as factory. You can toggle between map on tft and main info page using the top left button on the LHS switchgear, just pull towards you each time.

180miles in glorious weather. I'm blown away by the way it drops into corners and the S2 setting is a hoot. I'm a true DCT convert and the CarPlay is a real bonus. After seventeen years of being a GSer, I am now an ATASer. Having ridden the 1250GS Rallye/GSA TE and 1290 Super Adv, the Honda was the right call.

180miles in glorious weather. I'm blown away by the way it drops into corners and the S2 setting is a hoot. I'm a true DCT convert and the CarPlay is a real bonus. After seventeen years of being a GSer, I am now an ATASer. Having ridden the 1250GS Rallye/GSA TE and 1290 Super Adv, the Honda was the right call.

Agreed !!

My ATAS has much more character than my 1290R did . And as for a GS ? :)

I honestly think you need both.

a BMW R1200 / R1250 GSA

and a Honda Africa Twin CRF1000 / CRF1100

One for Summer and touring

One for Winter and Off-roading

:D :thumb2

I recently picked up a used T7 at a fair price, not sold my 2017 Africa twin DCT yet and only have room/time for one.. Now have to decide which one I prefer!

I have a test ride booked tomorrow on the CRF1100 DCT (not the adventure sports).

I’ve contacted a few delaers and Honda are knocking £1000 off the retail price as a ‘back to work’ incentive which reduces the price to £12,949. Although a dealer told me that the bike has to be registered before August 3rd.

PCP apr ranges from 4.1% to 5.9%. My bank can borrow me the full amount for a flat rate of 2.9% so I may well just go with that.

I’ll see how the test ride goes tomorrow and then decide what to do. If I don’t buy now, I may well wait till low mileage examples start to turn up.

I have a test ride booked tomorrow on the CRF1100 DCT (not the adventure sports).

I’ll see how the test ride goes tomorrow and then decide what to do. If I don’t buy now, I may well wait till low mileage examples start to turn up.

How was the test ride?

Test ride was decent. I loved the bike and the DCT initially took some getting used to, but it's silky smooth. I'm trying to hold out now for a good deal. I'm away for the whole of September also so I'm guessing it might not get used a great deal before next year.

Test ride was decent. I loved the bike and the DCT initially took some getting used to, but it's silky smooth. I'm trying to hold out now for a good deal. I'm away for the whole of September also so I'm guessing it might not get used a great deal before next year.

Waiting until we're in the depths of Winter for a good deal looks good then. :beerjug:

Just a heads up for anyone in the market for a nearly new CRF1100L Adventure Sport ES Plus manual? Fully loaded, immaculate condition and around 1900 miles. Will be up for sale on the forum in the new day or so.

Are you after an ATAS or a standard bike. I know where there is a red DCT pre reg zero miles that could be a good deal , if it’s not been sold already .

Are you after an ATAS or a standard bike. I know where there is a red DCT pre reg zero miles that could be a good deal , if it’s not been sold already .

Just a standard DCT, not the ATAS

Just on the final leg of a 1000 mile trip on the new ATAS from London to Ballycastle to London. The bike has been brilliant and I can sit comfortably at motorway speeds with a raised visor. It just chews the miles and then excels on the sweeping bends of the NIreland coast road from Ballycastle to Belfast. After 1200 miles the gearbox has noticeably freed up. Sounds great too. One thing I do notice vs my GSA is how much more top heavy the bike is at low speeds when fully fuelled and packed.

If you are visiting “Norn Iron” I would strongly recommend Ballycastle as a base. Great pubs, accommodation, scenery and access to cracking roads. Happy to offer my services as a translator
4cb1f64dc8d304cd4e62d61c73d907b8.jpg

141616ace98cfef073817636636d3fc9.jpg

ab2cdcc9bf70973e8cdcb21975a11c63.jpg

ba3a74037e2ca6936e0f1a27d291add2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went in to local Honda dealer to look at one of these, before I got chatting the owner said that he didn’t want to offend but he hoped I wasn’t going to ask to PX the GSA as they couldn’t accept them due to poor quality and not able to sell them or get a decent underwritten price.
They have some more demos on the fleet soon and I’ve left my name for a callback next week for a test ride

I went in to local Honda dealer to look at one of these, before I got chatting the owner said that he didn’t want to offend but he hoped I wasn’t going to ask to PX the GSA as they couldn’t accept them due to poor quality and not able to sell them or get a decent underwritten price.
They have some more demos on the fleet soon and I’ve left my name for a callback next week for a test ride

Crikey. Who’d have thought.

Dobles were more than happy to make an instant offer on my 2011 GSA in July , 2K discount and deliver/collect to Suffolk, on a AF with luggage and ES. My local dealer 2.5 miles away never bothered following through after a visit. Dealers vary.

Back
Top Bottom