Just test rode the new 1100 Africa Twin - fun, fun, fun

Jeremy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After three GSAs, it might be time for a change. I rode the 1250GSA low suspension on Monday, and it felt like putting on an old familiar shoe. Rapid, comfortable and efficient. Today, I rode the manual and DCT versions of the 1100 Africa Twin Afv Sports. It felt like putting on a spiked, ultra lithe, characterful, and most importantly, FUN training shoe. I was blown away by the whole package although at this point I prefer the manual to the DCT. My 5'8 frame fits comfortably onto the Adv Sports seat in the low position. The screen offered considerably more protection and less buffeting that the GSA. The bike's ability to lean into corners and power out was fantastic. The TFT screen and integration is top-notch. It seriously brought a massive smile to my face, and it's top of my list. I test rode the previous model last year, and this new one is a step up in my humble opinion.

Has anyone ridden a bike with the new electronic suspension? Wondering if it is worth it.

KTM 1290 Super Adv test ride tomorrow....

I’ve got a 2018 ATAS DCT and love it.
Not ridden a new one but no plans to change mine .
Great bikes though and make a GSA feel like a beached whale, as you found out .

I actually sold my 1290R because I prefer the ATAS.
See what you think tomorrow!

Are there any particular options that you'd recommend?

I fitted tubeless rims and Hyperpro suspension to mine but the new bike already has tubeless .
Not sure you’d need to change much on a new one .
Standard pegs are a bit small so I fitted Pivot Pegz, but I do that on all such bikes if I can .

The new bike has more gizmos but the price has jumped up quite a bit .
Unless you want the fancy TFT screen you could get a low mileage older bike . I see one has just popped up on here but is a DCT . Personally I love the DCT . It’s fabulous .

Cheers. Any views on Honda's OEM engine bars or spotlights vs others?

I have the 2018 ATAS and I love it, I believe the new one is an improvement all round but I haven't rode one yet. I came from a 2005 GS so I don't have experience on the newer GS/GSA to compare it to however.

I've had a standard DCT AT for coming up to 3 yrs and 17k miles. I can hand it back in 3 mths and it'll have cost peanuts...but I'm keeping it and paying the balloon sum. It is just so right. I've a nitron rear shock and upgraded fork springs to fit in the coming weeks but other than swapping the Honda top box for a Givi, it is standard. Twist and go, a brilliant bike.

I fitted tubeless rims and Hyperpro suspension to mine but the new bike already has tubeless .
Not sure you’d need to change much on a new one .
Standard pegs are a bit small so I fitted Pivot Pegz, but I do that on all such bikes if I can .

The new bike has more gizmos but the price has jumped up quite a bit .
Unless you want the fancy TFT screen you could get a low mileage older bike . I see one has just popped up on here but is a DCT . Personally I love the DCT . It’s fabulous .

+1 on the DCT.

I put 9000 miles on my DCT ATAS and really enjoyed it, dct is just ace, not ridden the new version but sure it'll be as good and probably better. No idea of seat height on the new one but at only 5.8 you'll be glad you never tested the old one, it was massive.

As for the engine bars, they are there for decoration, don't go lobbing it down the road and expect it to be all good to go, it won't.

So I've just spent a few hours on the DCT version of the new bike. Like a plonker, I wasn't aware of the S1,2,3 sports modes. Transformational sums it up. Even more impressed.

I've been offered a new ATAS ES spec bike with £1k off as a first effort at £15,049 OTR. Waiting to hear about the offer on a DCT and ES version.

I left mine in s2 as 3 was redline in each gear which isn't the most practical, if I were to offer opinion on geared or dct there would be no debate.

So I've just spent a few hours on the DCT version of the new bike. Like a plonker, I wasn't aware of the S1,2,3 sports modes. Transformational sums it up. Even more impressed.

I've been offered a new ATAS ES spec bike with £1k off as a first effort at £15,049 OTR. Waiting to hear about the offer on a DCT and ES version.

DCT is utterly brilliant .
Do you have to get a new one ?
There’s a nice one in the for sale section at under £10k

I left mine in s2 as 3 was redline in each gear which isn't the most practical,

Can't quite get my head round this. I have been in s3 since I got my AT....so well over 16k miles. It will redline IF I pin it, if I simply ride it according to road and traffic conditions gear changes revs vary depending on how much throttle I give it.

Can't quite get my head round this. I have been in s3 since I got my AT....so well over 16k miles. It will redline IF I pin it, if I simply ride it according to road and traffic conditions gear changes revs vary depending on how much throttle I give it.

I’m with Scabby on this one-normally leave mine in S2 as S3 changes far too late.

I'd get it checked if I were you.

Back
Top Bottom