Now that was a nice surprise.

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When I put my 2013 Guzzi California 1400 up for sale (long story) I was a little apprehensive, it's one of those bikes.They can sell for very strong money to the right person, or can hang about for ages.
With this in mind I decided I may take a p/ex. Long story short, I did a straightish swap for a 2016 (2017 model) R1200r sport, 1 owner, full history, 8700mls. Looks like it just came off the production line. I was very very happy with the deal.
I've now done around 500mls on it from last Thursday and I've got to say, it's a cracking bike. If you're looking at GS's and you're a bit short in the leg, as am I, have a look at one of these. In my opinion a much nicer bike to ride than the GS. Maybe not as good on the really gnarly roads, which could have been down to very road biased tyres, but just as good on the unclassified and far better on the A and B roads, and absolutely fine on the dual carriage ways and motorways. So, if you have no need to go offroad:rolleyes: are not a very large person or don't have very long legs, go and have a look at one of these before making your final decision. A big bonus is, if you go for one 2-3 years old which has similar spec levels to the GS, it's going to be 3-4k cheaper. It puts a much bigger smile on my face than any GS ever did, and I've had a few of those.

Pleased you like it but you’re saying you have quite short legs then recommending tall or large people to try one ?

Pleased it worked out for you Steve, that MG was a nice bike though, John

Could be read that way I suppose, amended for clarity.

Probably me being thick !
The bike mags often say the R is a much better road bike than the GS but doesn’t sell as the GS has the better image .

It looks much better in my eyes . Hope you continue to enjoy it .

Had one as a loaner. I was very impressed but unless you have good self control I can imagine it being a right licence loser.
Brings the hooligan out in you.

Probably me being thick !
The bike mags often say the R is a much better road bike than the GS but doesn’t sell as the GS has the better image .

It looks much better in my eyes . Hope you continue to enjoy it .

I guess many shorter people will go straight or a lowered GS/GSA. whilst not giving the R1200R/1250R a second glance. As above, it's an image thing - and the salesman will willingly oblige in selling the dream.

Sold my GS in 2013 and after a short gap bought an anniversary R1200R from here. Nearly new. A bargain.

Loved it. Planned to keep it for all the reasons given above. Popped a screen on it. Was gonna get panniers and a taller seat as the low seat cramped my legs (and I’m not tall), but then the RS12 came out and I jumped ship.

The GS is a great tool, but in the real world of tarmac riding, it’s just a false image. I did track it too.

The R/RS are brilliant road bikes. 5 years in with mine and no plans to change. All day comfortable. Fast enough (like any bike of course). Much better fuel consumption (gearing).

Back
Top Bottom