Thinking about a S1000XR

I was referring to all these companies not just Ducati, they have been given a free hand to add whatever they want and the stupid public believe they need all these gizmos, I mean, cornering lights ffs, hill start, dynamic super carlos fandago suspension setting :blast

KTM don't. They announce a price, then the dealers knock 30% off within a week of launch. :blast

I've just watched a video on the full tft setting on the new xr, holy shit you'd need a 4 year uni degree to work it.

I have an Xr had it for two years and commute on it daily, its a great bike for every day use! quick through rush hour traffic as well.
My mate took out the extended warranty on his, a month in, one of the fork seals went, then a month after that the other went.
I personally would take out the extended warranty there's too much stuff to go wrong these days.
And being Bmw, everything starts at £500.00 to get fixed....

I have an Xr had it for two years and commute on it daily, its a great bike for every day use! quick through rush hour traffic as well.
My mate took out the extended warranty on his, a month in, one of the fork seals went, then a month after that the other went.
I personally would take out the extended warranty there's too much stuff to go wrong these days.
And being Bmw, everything starts at £500.00 to get fixed....

Thanks for this, that is the reason I asked about the warranty. Any issues with the S1000XR that seem to be common to all?

Thanks for this, that is the reason I asked about the warranty. Any issues with the S1000XR that seem to be common to all?

I've had a lot more issues on boxers. I did 10,000 miles on a 65 plate XR and the only issue I had was the side stand fell off. I cushioned its landing :blast

Have you tired the Xr Forum as well?
I had the Led strip light replaced under warranty, another mate had his camshafts replaced as well and both our wing mirrors!

Would I buy another? Yes...

FFS, has he not heard of something called a tissue? Snivelling git.

If I remember rightly this chap had the major service ie valve clearances etc then the cam shafts failed which I think there was only 2K between events. I would have thought the valve clearances might have indicated the problem.

If I remember rightly this chap had the major service ie valve clearances etc then the cam shafts failed which I think there was only 2K between events. I would have thought the valve clearances might have indicated the problem.

He said the cam shafts were apparently a known fault of that model, that's why I said it was a bit of an eye opener yet obviously not all owners have experienced this but then again, probably not all owners have racked up 24k but even so, it's all a bit off putting on buying one IMO.

....just over 18k on mine from new and no intention of selling as it is so versatile. Tour, plod, and speed that makes you grow devil horns,

It really is a superb machine.

Take the plunge, so many flies on a turd can’t be wrong.

....just over 18k on mine from new and no intention of selling as it is so versatile. Tour, plod, and speed that makes you grow devil horns,

It really is a superb machine.

Take the plunge, so many flies on a turd can’t be wrong.

We should have another spirited ride out soon. ;)

2 XR's and 26000 miles later, the GS that has been lurking in my head was bought 2 weeks ago
I love the GS already, re-calibrating my riding, partially due to running it in, but it is different
Gear shift assist is OK once you get to 2nd, the XR was smooth through them all, up and down
XR's were reliable, 1st one's battery died on me in the middle of Spain, replaced next day, otherwise trouble free
I came to the XR from a 2012 Fireblade, GSX-R 1000 before that.....I am working towards a large scooter at this rate
The XR is a fantastic bike, hoping the GS will be for me

Oops nearly forgot, 1st XR had a water pump changed under warranty

1st one's battery died on me in the middle of Spain

That sounds familiar - recovered to Oviedo on Sunday evening for open wallet surgery the next morning at the Motorrad dealer for a new battery (only place that had one), so I could get to the ferry that afternoon. On a GS though.

Mine was in the mountains, got a jump start from a passing car driver, got bike back to hotel in Gijon, local motarrad dealer Triocar fitted a new battery, cheaper than UK prices.

This was in 2014, and it cost 140 Euros, plus a taxi to the dealers and back from the hotel, and then I fitted it in the hotel car park.
Not impressed, but no choice.

Back
Top Bottom